As a woman about to give birth (literally, I’m sitting in the hospital bed now), I’m reminded of all the things that people have said to me over the last few days…Things I must tell you shouldn’t really be said to anyone, but someone either people don’t know what to say to pregnant women or don’t know that just because your brain thinks it – doesn’t mean you should let the words come out your mouth.
So in honor of those pregnant women like me and as a helpful reminder for those of you whom you might encounter, here are 10 Things You Shouldn’t Say to a Pregnant Woman (especially when she is about to give birth). (*Thanks to those friends who have helped put this list together!)
1. You look like you are about to pop.
2. You’re still pregnant?
3. Are you ready to have this baby?
4. Have you gotten everything done?
5. Are you having twins?
6. You ready for all this brings?
7. Are your feet normally that BIG?
8. How are you feeling?
9. It’s not gonna hurt/it’s not gonna be that bad…
10. "Oh quit yer complaining. What's the big deal? Women have been doing it for thousands of years. Now get finished mowing the yard and bring me a beer!"
I had meant to give explanations to these, but then two things happened: one, I don’t think these need much rationale – just don’t say them. Two, the nurses told me it was time to get off my computer and push.
* Autumn Reo is taking off-season a little longer this year, but tune in for a few weeks once she gets her new team member ready for playing.