Last week I got a few fellow moms together for a tasting of brunch recipes and pre-made mimosas and bellinis. The result, f our full tummies and a meal that dads and kids can prepare for a perfect Mother's Day feast.
Brunch Oven Omelet with Canadian Bacon
Never miss a local story.
The whole group was amazed at how flavorful and fluffy this oven version of a breakfast classic turned out.
Prep Time: 15 min
Start to Finish: 50 min
Makes: 12 servings
1 lb Canadian-style bacon, cut into 24 (1/8-inch) slices
1/4 cup maple-flavored syrup
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup sour cream
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons salt
4 medium green onions, chopped (1/4 cup)
Chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat oven to 325°F. Place bacon slices on sheet of heavy-duty foil. Pour syrup over bacon. Bring up 2 sides of foil so edges meet. Seal edges, making tight 1/2-inch fold; fold again, allowing space for heat circulation and expansion. Fold other sides to seal.
2. In 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish, melt butter in oven. Tilt dish so butter coats bottom. In large bowl, beat eggs, sour cream, milk and salt with wire whisk until blended. Stir in onions. Pour into baking dish.
3. Bake omelet and bacon packet about 35 minutes or until eggs are set but moist and bacon is hot. Arrange bacon on omelet. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Information:1 Serving: Calories 275 (Calories from Fat 170 ); Total Fat 19 g (Saturated Fat 8 g); Cholesterol 360 mg; Sodium 1020 mg; Total Carbohydrate 8 g (Dietary Fiber 0g); Protein 18 g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 14 %; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 8 %; Iron 6 %
Tester tips:I forgot the parsley so I chopped the tops of the green onions and sprinkled them on top for extra flavor and added color.
Minted Fruit Salad
A fresh and sweet way to change up a plain fruit salad.
Prep Time: 10 min
Total Time: 10 min
Makes: 10 servings
3 medium bananas, sliced
4 medium oranges, peeled and sectioned
1 cup strawberry, cut in half
1 cup seedless green grapes, cut in half
1/3 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
1.Toss bananas, oranges, strawberries and grapes.
2.Mix orange juice and honey; pour over fruit. Toss salad with mint leaves before serving.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 75 (Calories from Fat 0); Total Fat 0g (Saturated Fat 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 0mg; Total Carbohydrate 21 (Dietary Fiber 3 g); Protein 1 g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2 %; Vitamin C 74 %; Calcium 2 %; Iron 2 %
"Healthified" Mini Chocolate Cheesecakes
Don't be intimidated by these little chocolate gems. The recipe was extremely easy and perfect way to end the meal.
Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 2 hours 25 min
Makes: 12 servings
12 foil baking cups
12 thin chocolate wafer cookies (from 9-oz package), crushed (2/3 cup)
12 oz 1/3-less-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), softened
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1 whole egg
1 egg white
1 oz bittersweet or semisweet baking chocolate, melted
1/3 cup fat-free hot fudge topping
Fresh raspberries, if desired
1. Heat oven to 325°F. Place foil baking cup in each of 12 regular-size muffin cups. With back of spoon, firmly press slightly less than 1 tablespoon cookie crumbs in bottom of each foil cup.
2. In large bowl, beat cream cheese with electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Beat in sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Beat in cocoa. Beat in whole egg and egg white until well blended. Stir in melted chocolate. Divide cheese mixture evenly among crumb-lined foil cups.
3. Bake 28 to 32 minutes or until set. Cool in pan on cooling rack 15 minutes. Remove cheesecakes from pan; cool 15 minutes longer. Refrigerate about 1 hour or until chilled.
4. To serve, carefully remove foil baking cups. Spread fudge topping on cheesecakes. Garnish with raspberries. Store cheesecakes covered in refrigerator.
Tester tip:I was not able to find chocolate wafer cookies, so I bought a chocolate pie crust in the baking section of the store and crumbled it for the bottom of my cheesecakes.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 200 (Calories from Fat 80); Total Fat 9g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 40mg; Sodium 180mg; Total Carbohydrate 25g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 18g); Protein 4g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 4%; Iron 4%
Each mom thought these we're a great alternative to making drinks from scratch. The bellini was perfectly peachy and sweet and try the Blood Orange Mimosa if you prefer a tart flavor.
Canella Bellini Sparkling Wine Cocktail of Venezia and Blood Orange Mimosa, $11.99 at Cost Plus World Market
Photos: Heather Witherspoon