Five Ways the Healthcare Reform Will Help Kids
03/24/2010 5:17 PM
12/10/2010 11:23 AM
Whether we like it or not healthcare reform has come to America. I for one, am delighted to see the signing of our new healthcare bill, especially for all of the nation's children who go without quality care. It's undeniable that this bill is historic and every person in this country will be affected in one way or another. As for the media attention that is swarming around this historic change there have been truths, untruths, and everything in between. Here are just a few ways that healthcare reform could be good for our kiddos.....
- insurance companies will be prohibited from denying coverage to kids with pre-existing conditions.
- Insurance companies will no longer place lifetime caps on policies or drop a patient if they get sick.
- Insurance companies will be required to pay for preventive services, including medical procedures as vaccines recommended by the Centers for Disease Control.
- For parents of older kids, you now will be able to keep them on your insurance until they are 26 years old.
- The Children's Health Insurance Program, which helps lower-income families, will be maintained in its current condition, even by states that are looking to cut costs.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
Fort Worth Star-Telegram is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.