Midland Lee holds off Keller late

Posted Thursday, Aug. 28, 2014  comments  Print Reprints

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

Keller coach Carl Stralow got everything he wanted out of his team Thursday night against Midland Lee.

But a few too many mistakes were too much to overcome as the Rebels held off the Indians for a 28-26 victory at Grande Communications Stadium.

The Indians (0-1) cut into an eight-point fourth-quarter deficit when Cameron Johnson caught a 36-yard touchdown pass from Caleb Griffin with 2:59 remaining in the game.

But the Rebels (1-0) intercepted the 2-point conversion pass, and Keller wasn’t able to get the ball back, ultimately falling by two points.

“We’ve been in the process through the three years I’ve been here at Keller trying to get them to play that hard,” Stralow said after the game.

“We just couldn’t overcome our mistakes. But I was really excited about the way we fought all the way to the end.”

The game was delayed more than 2 1/2 hours because of lightning in the area and didn’t kick off until around 6:50 p.m.

Neither offense had a big night. Keller’s struggled to run the ball against Lee’s defense, and the two teams combined for five turnovers.

Keller converted one of those turnovers into points as Garrett Blubaugh returned a fumble 11 yards for a touchdown in the second quarter.

The Indians also had a touchdown on special teams, with Johnson returned the opening kickoff of the second half 87 yards for a touchdown. Keller had 231 total yards.

Lee running back Aron Dobbins rushed for 119 yards on 35 carries and three touchdowns to lead the Rebels.

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?

Follow us on Twitter

Read our latest posts at twitter.com/dfwvarsity

Game of the week