Grand Prairie officers won’t be charged in fatal Christmas shooting

Posted Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2014  comments  Print Reprints

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

A Tarrant County grand jury has declined to indict three Grand Prairie police officers involved in a Christmas Day shootout that ended in the death of a teenager.

Peyton Cole Barbour, a 16-year-old sophomore at Lake Ridge High School in Mansfield, was fatally shot after leading police on a high-speed chase and firing at the officers, according to authorities.

The incident began about 4:30 a.m. Dec. 25 when officers pulled up behind a parked car in the 3100 block of North Camino Lagos.

The driver, later identified as Barbour, drove off at high speed. He abandoned the vehicle, which was later determined to be stolen, in a field, a news release from the Tarrant County district attorney’s office said.

Barbour shot at an officer while running away and then disappeared in woods for hours, the release said.

About 2 p.m., he was spotted. Officers tried to negotiate with Barbour, asking him to drop his weapon, but he continued to fire at them with a 9 mm Glock, later found to have been stolen.

Officers returned fire, shooting Barbour twice. Barbour was flown by helicopter ambulance to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas where he died in surgery.

One officer was shot in the foot and another was injured by flying glass while he was seated in his patrol car during the gunfight, the release said. Both officers were treated for their injuries and released.

The district attorney’s office will not release the names of the officers because none was indicted, arrested or charged, the release said.

“Grand Prairie officers made numerous attempts over an extended period to convince Barbour to lay down his firearm,” said prosecutor Jack Strickland. “Only after he had repeatedly refused to do so and had wounded two officers did they return fire with fatal consequences. The officers went above and beyond what the law required of them.”

Barbour’s parents are employed by the Mansfield school district, according to school websites. They did not immediately respond Tuesday to a request for comment.

This contains information from Star-Telegram archives.

Mitch Mitchell, 817-390-7752 Twitter: @mitchmitchel3

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?