• 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
• 2/3 cup sugar
• 2/3 cup sweet orange marmalade
• 1 cup natural almonds
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
• 3 large eggs, room temperature
• 3/4 cup buttermilk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 cup cold heavy cream, whipped to medium peaks
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with rack in top position. Line 18 muffin-pan cups with paper liners. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and 1/3 cup marmalade until pale yellow and fluffy, about 4 minutes. (Microwave marmalade if it’s too thick to pour — heat for 5 to 10 seconds or until it loosens up.)
2. In a food processor, process almonds until finely ground. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and process until almonds are completely incorporated into flour mixture.
3. With mixer on low, beat eggs, one at a time, into butter mixture, scraping down bowl after each addition. Add buttermilk and flour mixture each in three additions, scraping down bowl after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
4. Fill each muffin cup with batter. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 22 to 24 minutes, rotating pans halfway through. Let cupcakes cool in pans on wire racks. Top each with a dollop of whipped cream and evenly drizzle with 1/3 cup marmalade.
Nutritional information per cupcake: 237 calories, 15 grams fat (7 grams saturated fat), 4 grams protein, 23 grams carbohydrates, 1 gram fiber, 57 percent of calories from fat.