Home > Utilities > Wires > News > Nation/World News from AP
Nation/World News from AP

Search for body to follow Costa Concordia removal

Posted Sunday, Jul. 13, 2014  comments  Print Reprints
A

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

An Italian official has promised that a search will be conducted for the only unrecovered body of the 32 Costa Concordia shipwreck victims as soon as the wrecked cruise liner is towed away from the island where it struck a reef in 2012.

Franco Gabrielli, who heads the Civil Protection Department overseeing the wreck's removal, also told reporters on Giglio Island Sunday that while weather conditions aren't optimal, they are good enough to permit the start of operations to refloat and tow the Concordia to Genoa on the mainland for scrapping.

Gabrielli said it was a "great sorrow" the body of an Indian waiter was never found.

Delicate removal operations will start early Monday and last several days. A daring engineering operation set the capsized Concordia upright last year.

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse, images, internet links or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?