Judge postpones license hearing for Fort Worth veterinarian

Posted Thursday, Jun. 19, 2014  comments  Print Reprints

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

A hearing that will determine whether beleaguered Fort Worth veterinarian Millard Lou Tierce will lose his license has been postponed for 60 days.

A state administrative law judge rescheduled the hearing to Aug. 25-28, according to the state agency.

Tierce, who has practiced veterinary medicine since 1966, was arrested in late April on suspicion of animal cruelty after police and the veterinary board investigated a complaint that he allegedly kept animals alive when owners thought their pets had been euthanized.

Don Ferrill, an attorney representing Tierce did not return calls as to why the hearing was rescheduled.

Jonathan Crabtree, an attorney representing the Texas State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners also could not be reached for comment.

Melody McDonald, a spokeswoman for the Tarrant County district attorney’s office said prosecutors are waiting on additional information from the Fort Worth police, but Tierce has not been criminally charged.

In early May, the board suspended Tierce's license after Marian and Jamie Harris filed a complaint when they learned that their 4-year-old Leonberger, Sid, was still alive after the family thought the dog had been euthanized.

The Harrises also filed a civil suit against Tierce, seeking $1 million in damages.

About a month later another pet owner filed a lawsuit against Tierce.

Kimberly Traye Davis, who lives in Dallas County, alleged in her suit that Tierce lied to her about her Chihuahua’s condition and kept the dog alive to perform medical experiments without the owner’s consent. Davis also is seeking more than $1 million in damages, according to the lawsuit.

In late April, police and veterinary board investigators raided the clinic and found unsanitary conditions including insects and trash in surgical areas, animal organs in jars , and animals living in filthy conditions.

Tierce admitted to investigators that he kept five dogs alive that were to be euthanized, including one that lived in a cage for two to three years.

But many supporters also signed petitions and praised his work at the hearing in Austin last month.

Talia Lydick told the Star-Telegram previously that she has taken dogs to Tierce for 30 years. One of her dogs was paralyzed, but after Tierce treated her pet, the dog was completely healed.

This article contains information from Star-Telegram archives.

Elizabeth Campbell, 817-390-7696 Twitter: @fwstliz

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?