Brisket and potato stew
Our slow-cooker beef brisket is the star of this warming one-pot stew. The braised meat lends a dose of that long-simmered flavor in less time.
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
• 1/2 white onion, diced medium
• Coarse salt and ground pepper
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
• 1/2 pound fingerling or other small potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
• 4 cups cubed slow-cooker beef brisket
• 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
1. In a medium pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add carrots and onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add flour and stir to coat. Stirring constantly, slowly add broth and 2 cups water. Add potatoes and bring to a boil over high heat; reduce to a rapid simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until carrots and potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
3. Add brisket and peas and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
Nutritional information per serving: 380 calories, 13 grams fat (4 grams saturated fat), 19 grams carbohydrates, 44 grams protein, 4 grams fiber and 31 percent of calories from fat.