Man burned in Sansom Park fire dies

Posted Wednesday, Feb. 12, 2014  comments  Print Reprints
A

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

A man critically burned in a house fire Sunday in Sansom Park died Wednesday at a Dallas hospital, officials said.

Edward Able, 57, who had second- and third-degree burns, died about 1 a.m. at Parkland Memorial Hospital.

The fire was reported about 8:45 p.m. Sunday in the 5100 block of Urbanview Street in Sansom Park.

Police Chief Chief Randy Driver has said the home was being heated with a kitchen stove.

“It looks like the flame went out. The gas went up the Vent-A-Hood that didn’t vent outside but went into the attic,” Driver said Monday . “The attic filled with gas.”

Able was burned when he lit a cigarette that ignited the fumes, Driver said.

A person who called 911 said Able’s clothing was on fire, but the flames were out by the time firefighters arrived, Driver said.

The man was taken to Parkland by ambulance because the weather prevented helicopters from flying.

This report includes material from the Star-Telegram archives.

Domingo Ramirez Jr., 817-390-7763 Twitter: @mingoramirezjr

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?