Classic chicken potpie
To make potpies ahead of time, let the filling cool, then assemble and freeze for up to 4 months. Bake at 425 degrees for 1 1/4 hours (1 hour for small pies).
For the crust:
• 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for work surface
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
• 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
• 3 to 5 tablespoons ice water
For the filling:
• 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1 medium yellow onion, diced small (1 1/2 cups)
• 4 medium carrots, diced small (2 cups)
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
• 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
• 1 cup frozen peas
• Coarse salt and ground pepper
• 3 cups shredded cooked chicken (15 ounces)
• 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1. Make crust: In a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar and salt. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, with a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons ice water. Pulse until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed (if necessary, add up to 2 tablespoons ice water); do not over-mix. Form dough into a disk, wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate until firm, 1 hour or overnight (or freeze, up to 1 month).
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Make filling: In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrots and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add flour and stir to coat vegetables. Slowly add broth, whisking constantly until sauce is smooth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in peas. Season with salt and pepper, then stir in chicken and parsley. Pour filling into a 2-quart baking dish. (To make single-serving-size pies, use six 10-ounce dishes.)
3. On a floured work surface, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Place dough over dish and fold overhang inward while pinching to crimp edge. Cut vents in dough. Place dish on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling around edge, about 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.
Nutritional information per serving: 528 calories, 28 grams fat (16 grams saturated fat), 29 grams protein, 39 grams carbohydrates, 4 grams fiber, 48 percent of calories from fat.