One critically burned in Sansom Park fire

Posted Monday, Feb. 10, 2014  comments  Print Reprints
A

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

A man was critically injured Sunday night in a house fire in Sansom Park, authorities said.

The man, whom authorities did not identify, was taken by ambulance to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas. He suffered severe burns, a MedStar official said.

The blaze was reported shortly before 8:45 p.m. Sunday in the 5100 block of Urbanview Street in Sansom Park.

Sansom Park police Chief Chief Randy Driver said the home was being heated with the kitchen stove.

“It looks like the flame went out, the gas went up the vent-a-hood that didn’t vent outside, but went into the attic. The attic filled with gas.”

The 57-year-old man sustained second- and third-degree burns when he lit a cigarette that ignited the gas fumes, Driver said.

The person who called 911 said the man’s clothing was on fire, but it was out by the time firefighters arrived, Driver said.

Tarrant County Fire Marshal Randy Renois said that a pair of his investigators went to Parkland today to interview the victim, but the man was intubated.

Renois added that the man was burned over the front of his body, but he did not know what percentage of his body was burned.

The man was taken to Parkland by ambulance because the weather prevented helicopters from flying, Driver said.

Domingo Ramirez Jr., 817-390-7763 Twitter: @mingoramirezjr

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?