Beef stroganoff stir-fry
• 1 1/2 pounds skirt or flank steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1/2 teaspoon smoked or sweet paprika
• Coarse salt and ground pepper
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
• 1 pound sliced cremini mushrooms
• 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
• Cooked, buttered egg noodles and sour cream, for serving
1. Toss steak with paprika, 2 teaspoons salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Heat a large skillet or wok over high. Add oil then steak in an even layer and cook until browned, about 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Add onion and mushrooms to pan and cook until any liquid produced has evaporated and mushrooms are browned, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add steak along with any accumulated juices and stir to combine. Remove from heat and stir in parsley. Serve with noodles and sour cream.
Nutritional information per serving: 458 calories, 29 grams fat (9 grams saturated fat), 10 grams carbohydrates, 38 grams protein, 2 grams fiber and 57 percent of calories from fat.
Red-curry chicken stir-fry
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1/4 cup red-curry paste
• 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced (1 pound total)
• 1/2 pound snow peas, trimmed
• 1/4 pineapple, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1 1/2 cups)
• 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
• 4 teaspoons fish sauce
• Coarse salt
• Cooked rice, for serving
1. Heat a large skillet or wok over high. Add oil and curry paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chicken and cook until starting to brown, about 1 minute. Add snow peas and pineapple and cook until snow peas are bright green and tender and chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes. Stir in basil and fish sauce, and season with salt. Serve with rice.
Nutritional information per serving: 230 calories, 6 grams fat (1 gram saturated fat), 16 grams carbohydrates, 26 grams protein, 3 grams fiber and 23 percent of calories from fat.
Pork with cherry sauce
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 pork tenderloin, cut into 1-inch slices and each pounded 1/4 inch thick
• Coarse salt and pepper
• 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
• 2 large shallots, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
• 1/4 cup dry red wine
• 1/4 cup chicken broth
• 2 cups frozen cherries, thawed (12 ounces)
• 2 teaspoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
• Cooked polenta, for serving
1. Place flour in a shallow dish. Season pork with salt and pepper, then coat with flour, shaking off excess.
2. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Working in batches, cook pork until browned and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and tent loosely with foil.
3. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil and shallots, and cook until softened, about 6 to 8 minutes. Season. Add wine and broth and cook, stirring, until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add cherries and ginger, and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Return pork to pan along with any accumulated juices and cook until sauce has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes. Serve over polenta.
Nutritional information per serving: 343 calories, 15 grams fat (3 grams saturated fat), 21 grams carbohydrates, 31 grams protein, 2 grams fiber and 39 percent of calories from fat.
Chicken puttanesca with orzo
• 3/4 pound orzo
• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
• Coarse salt and ground pepper
• 3 large cloves garlic, finely minced
• 3 tablespoons capers plus 1 tablespoon brine
• 4 chicken cutlets (about 1 pound)
• 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
• 1/2 cup chopped Kalamata olives
1. Cook orzo according to package instructions; drain and transfer to a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons oil and the parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk garlic, 1 tablespoon oil, the brine and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; toss with chicken.
3. In a large nonstick skillet heat remaining tablespoon oil over medium-high. Cook chicken until golden and cooked through, about 5 to 8 minutes, flipping halfway through. Transfer to a plate. Add tomatoes and their liquid, olives and capers to skillet; boil until thickened, about 4 minutes. Stir in any juices from chicken and season with salt and pepper. Serve chicken with orzo and sauce.
Nutritional information per serving: 639 calories, 21 grams fat (3 grams saturated fat), 74 grams carbohydrates, 40 grams protein, 3 grams fiber and 30 percent of calories from fat.
Have more to add? News tip? Tell us
Use our go-to techniques for stir-frying and sauteing and have dinner served in less than 30 minutes.Stir-frying
A very hot pan and some fat are essential to this speedy method. Preparation is key; cut all ingredients into pieces of equal size before cooking.Sauteing
Think fast literally. Sauteing requires high heat to brown thin cuts. Deglaze the pan with some wine or broth, and youve got an instant sauce, too.
Everyday Food magazine offers quick, healthy solutions for everyday meals - from the kitchens of Martha Stewart Living. For more recipes and additional tips, visit www.marthastewart . com/everydayfood. Questions or comments about the column should be sent to: email@example.com.
Looking for comments?