Acquitted officer told investigators he had sexual contact with woman, but that she caused it

Posted Saturday, Nov. 02, 2013  comments  Print Reprints

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

This article contains sexually explicit language.

A former Dalworthington Gardens police sergeant who was found not guilty of sexually assaulting a woman he’d arrested had earlier admitted to having sexual contact with the woman — but said that she initiated it —according to documents obtained by the Star-Telegram.

Bobby Lynn Beasley, 53, was acquitted by jurors Thursday in a Tarrant County courtroom after defense attorneys painted his accuser as a liar.

Beasley had arrested the woman at her Fort Worth home on misdemeanor warrants Dec. 14, 2010, then helped get her released from the Dalworthington Gardens jail after asking a judge to issue a personal recognizance bond for the single mother.

The woman, who is not being named by because of her sexual assault allegations, told police that Beasley had put his hand on her lap and then inside of her pants, penetrating her with his fingers as he drove her home from the Dalworthington Gardens jail.

The woman reported the alleged contact to a Dalworthington Gardens municipal court employee in April 2011, saying she didn’t come forward earlier because she was worried that the officer knew where she and her grandmother lived.

Dalworthington Garden police records, obtained Friday by the Star-Telegram, show that Beasley admitted to internal affairs investigators in April 2011 that he had physical contact with the woman and that he lied about having telephone contact with her after the encounter.

Beasley resigned from the police department April 19, 2011, one day before he was scheduled to take a polygraph, records show.

By law, the statements made by Beasley to internal affairs investigators were not admissible in the trial.

“We have the rule of law in this country. Rules of evidence are there for a reason. If the U.S. Supreme Court says that something is inadmissible, they do it for a reason and you don’t quarrel with the law,” said prosecutor David Hagerman. “You go to trial with the case you have and not the case you wish you had.”

Accuser’s credibility questioned

During this week’s trial, prosecutors presented evidence that painted the woman as a single mother of two with a meager education and few resources. Witnesses testified that on the night she was booked into the Dalworthington Gardens jail, it was unusual that Beasley asked a judge to release the woman on a personal recognizance bond, and odd that he took her back to Fort Worth in his unmarked city vehicle.

Heather Davenport, who prosecuted the case along with Hagerman, told the jury in closing arguments that people rarely announce their intent but Beasley did leave some clues.

“When this defendant walked into the Dalworthington Gardens Jail, what did he say?” Davenport asked. ‘“I’m going to try to help you out, but you’re going to have to do something for me.”’

Defense attorney Terri Moore, however, argued that the incident occurred just before Christmas and perhaps Beasley was filled with Christmas spirit.

She and defense attorney Michael Ware painted Beasley’s accuser as a liar who accumulated more than $8,000 in fines due to unpaid traffic tickets. They pointed out to jurors that the woman gave inconsistent information about where the alleged sexual assault took place and also did not tell investigators about 14 text messages that defense attorneys said she sent to Beasley’s cell phone during a three-day period between Dec. 14 and Dec. 17, 2010, after the alleged sexual assault occurred.

Prosecuting attorneys did not present “one scintilla” of physical evidence in the case, Ware said.

“She testified and she absolutely was not credible,” Moore said. “She told too many inconsistent stories about the sexual assault itself. I think what hit the jury was this was not a credible story.”

‘Intrigued’ by woman’s advances

Though he did not testify in the trial, according to his April 2011 statement to internal investigators, Beasley claimed that the single mother came onto him as he drove her home after helping get her released from jail on a personal recognizance bond.

“She told me nobody was at her apartment and we could go there and she would show me how much she appreciated my help,” Beasley said the statement to investigators.

Beasley told investigators that he refused the woman’s request but that she continued coming on to him as he dropped her off at her grandmother’s home.

“I then noticed that she had unbuttoned three buttons on her jeans,” he told investigators. “I told her I needed to go. She then grabbed my hand and pushed my hand into her pants and said, ‘Check this out. It is good.’ I pulled away and told her it was not a good idea and said I was leaving.”

Beasley told internal affairs investigators that, in hindsight, he should have immediately reported the incident. He said he told a friend about the incident and that he was “intrigued” by the woman’s advances.

“He told me that I should not call her and that it was not a good idea to have sex with her,” Beasley stated. “I did not call her, attempt to call her, or have any further contact with her.”

Text messages sent

Beasley said he did not see the woman again until about two weeks prior to giving his statement, when he spotted her at the Dalworthington Garden municipal court window and inquired about how she and her kids were doing.

In a later videotaped interview with investigators, Beasley again insisted he didn’t have further communication with the woman until seeing her at the courthouse.

But telephone records obtained by internal investigators showed that Beasley had called the woman’s cellphone three times between Dec. 14 and Dec. 17 and sent her 24 text messages, 14 of which she returned.

When later confronted about the phone records, Beasley told investigators, “Well, if that’s what is says, OK, but I don’t remember anything,” internal affairs records show.

Sgt. Ben Bruce, supervisor of the Dalworthington Gardens internal affairs unit, declined Friday to comment on the jury’s not-guilty verdict in the case.

“We would like to let the [internal investigation] file speak for itself,” Bruce said. “We believe the information is here.”

An active civil lawsuit filed in December 2012 by the woman in this case naming Beasley as the defendant is pending in a Tarrant County court.

Deanna Boyd, 817-390-7655 Twitter: @deannaboyd Mitch Mitchell, 817-390-7752 Twitter: @mitchmitchel3

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?