Roos notch first win at Homecoming Friday

Posted Tuesday, Oct. 29, 2013  comments  Print Reprints

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

Weatherford not only celebrated Homecoming Friday night, they did it with a win against North Crowley, 14-6.

Though they trailed 6-0 at the half, the Roos defense stepped up in the third and fourth quarters and stopped the Panthers from padding their lead. That allowed the Weatherford offense to score two fourth-quarter touchdowns and win the game.

Weatherford next travels to Arlington Friday to face Lamar at Cravens Field. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.

Aledo alum Gray helps Texas beat TCU

A three-hour lightning delay and the return of TCU quarterback Casey Pachall couldn’t slow down Texas on Saturday night at Amon G. Carter Stadium.

The Longhorns (5-2, 4-0 Big 12) shut out TCU after a 3-hour, 6-minute delay and took advantage of three Horned Frogs turnovers to win handily 30-7 in front of a rain-soaked, hearty bunch of approximately 25,000 still in attendance when the game ended at 12:40 a.m. Sunday morning.

The Frogs (3-5, 1-4) were forced to punt on nine consecutive possessions, most coming after the long delay.

Texas scored 17 points off three turnovers, including a muffed punt in the fourth quarter when Sammy Douglas was blocked into Cam Echols-Luper and Texas recovered at the TCU 32. Anthony Fera’s 36-yard field goal stretched the Horns’ lead to 30-7 with 11:55 remaining in the game.

Texas outgained TCU 415 total yards to 246 and held an eight-minute advantage in time of possession. The Longhorns remain in position to win the Big 12.

Play resumed just before 11 p.m. with the Horned Frogs trailing 17-7 and 6:08 left in the first half.

After the delay, Texas added to its lead with 10 quick points.

Case McCoy connected with Johnson for a 43-yard pass and a pass interference call against TCU, plus a 16-yard run by former Aledo High School star Johnathan Gray set up Malcolm Brown’s second touchdown of the night, which capped an 89-yard, eight-play drive that put Texas up 27-7 with 9:20 remaining in the third quarter.

After the teams rode out the delay in their locker rooms, both offenses traded punts before the Longhorns connected on a 37-yard field goal to increase their lead to 20-7 just before halftime.

The game, Texas’ first at TCU since 1994, was suspended by officials at 7:50 p.m. Heavy rains and consistent lightning lingered for nearly three hours. Play was finally resumed at 10:56 p.m.

Halftime was abbreviated to a five-minute break and the teams didn’t leave the field. A crowd of 48,212, a record for the renovated stadium, was on hand before the weather delay. TCU opened up nearby Daniel-Meyer Coliseum for fans to take refuge.

- Stefan Stephenson

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?