Demolition notice posted for east Arlington complex

Posted Friday, Oct. 18, 2013  comments  Print Reprints
A

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

The city posted notice Friday at a dilapidated east Arlington apartment complex that it plans to proceed with demolition within the next 30 days.

An Arlington municipal judge declared the La Joya Apartments dangerous earlier this year based on the city’s documentation of unsanitary and hazardous conditions, including mold, roaches, flood damage and leaking raw sewage. Code compliance officers noted more than 1,000 violations.

Theodore Hansen, the former owner of the 185-unit complex in the 1700 block of New York Avenue, was fined $82,000 this spring by the city for 154 violations. Hansen failed to meet court-ordered deadlines to bring the property up to code, officials said.

Arlington notified Fannie Mae, believed to be the current owner of the complex, on Thursday about the demolition notice, officials said. The owner has 30 days to appeal.

City officials estimate that 75 of the units are occupied. Arlington is preparing to contract with a company to help relocate those tenants in the event that demolition, expected to cost up to $2 million, moves forward, said Mike Bass, assistant director of code compliance services.

This report includes material from Star-Telegram archives.

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?