Fourth man sentenced to prison in slaying of Fort Worth man

Posted Friday, Oct. 18, 2013  comments  Print Reprints

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

Four convictions since her only child’s death have not eased the pain caused by his murder in 2011, Patricia Dunlop told a courtroom Friday morning.

She held up a birthday photo in which Kevan Dunlop’s arm is draped around her shoulders.

“This is the last picture we have of my son,” she said.

His birthday was Nov. 1; hers is Nov. 3. The picture was taken on Nov. 2. There are no grandchildren, no daughter-in-law, nothing to fill the hole left by his absence, she said.

Patricia Dunlop told defendant Nathaniel Redic, 24, that she hopes his mother never has to experience the pain she felt upon hearing that her 25-year-old son had been gunned down.

“We keep trying to hold onto little pieces,” she said. “We don’t give away his shoes. We keep looking at his pictures. The pictures are all we have left.”

Redic pled guilty to a murder charge and was sentenced to 25 years in prison. Two of his co-defendants were convicted this year after jury trials and sentenced to life in prison without possibility of parole. Prosecutors did not seek death penalties.

A third co-defendant pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 35 years in prison.

Dunlop said that none of the four had had the courage to own up to what they did and say they were sorry.

After Dunlop finished her victim impact statement, Redic turned toward the family and said, “I apologize sincerely from my heart.”

It did not seem to help.

“I will have to think about that,” Patricia Dunlop said afterward. “Right now, I can only see him as one of the men responsible for taking my son’s life.”

Kevan Dunlop graduated from Tuskegee University on May 9, 2010, and began volunteering for the Boys & Girls Club of Fort Worth.

He hoped to attend the Thurgood Marshall Law School at Texas Southern University in Houston, the law school where an aunt and cousin had received degrees.

On Jan. 6, 2011, a friend, Darius Hill, invited him to play video games with acquaintances at an apartment in the 7400 block of Ederville Road.

There was a big-screen TV there and no parents to complain about the noise, his aunt, Pamela Dunlop Gates, has said.

They were playing and betting on a Madden football video game when four gunmen burst in to rob the apartment tenant. They believed he was selling marijuana, and they intended to steal his drugs and money, according to testimony at the earlier trials.

They all grew up in the same area and the robbers knew that the apartment resident and his guests would be able to identify them, prosecutors said.

Michael Dorsey and Darius Hill were critically wounded. Willie Woodard was injured after he jumped out a second-story window to escape the gunfire.

Dunlop was shot once as he tried to get away from gunfire and was shot twice more in the back after he fell into a closet.

Marquise Brooks, 24,and James Jones, 24, are serving life prison sentences without the possibility of parole. Floyd Dewayne Myles, 21, pleaded guilty to a murder charge and is serving a 35-year prison sentence.

Redic was the last to be sentenced.

“When he was killed, he was trying to help people like the young men who were responsible for his death,” Gates said of her nephew. “We will work hard as a family not to let his life be reduced to that of a victim. He deeply cared about the community that he lived in and he wanted to make a positive impact in the community. That is the memory we want to live on. Not this.”

Mitch Mitchell, 817-390-7752 Twitter: @mitchmitchel3

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?