Fort Worth man who tried to sell 12-year-old girl for sex gets 99-year prison sentence

Posted Thursday, Sep. 19, 2013  comments  Print Reprints

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

After sexually assaulting a 12-year-old girl after church one Sunday, Ricky Davis took her to a bar where he tried to sell sex with her to bar patrons for $50.

A Tarrant County jury on Wednesday took 19 minutes to convict Davis of one charge of aggravated assault of a child under 14 and one charge of trafficking of a person under 18, and then sentenced him to 99 years in prison on each conviction, which will run simultaneously.

After the verdict was read, a bailiff cradled the now teen-aged girl in her arms and told her that she had to push past the trauma that Davis caused. The case is believed to be the first human trafficking case tried before a Tarrant County jury.

“Don’t let this affect your life,” the bailiff said.

No one can begin to calculate the damage Davis inflicted on Aug. 19, 2012, the day the rape occurred, said Eric Nickols, the Tarrant County prosecutor who prosecuted the case with Rainey Webb.

“By her own testimony she feels broken, damaged and dirty,” Nickols said. “She is headed for many years of counseling all because of what was done to her.”

Davis, 30, was a close friend of the mother of the then 12-year-old girl, Nickols said. Davis and the girl’s family attended church that morning and gathered at the family’s home afterward, a press release from the Tarrant County district attorney’s office said.

Later that day, the girl was invited to spend the night at Davis’ house in east Fort Worth where he lived with his girlfriend and her three children, according to the release. When Davis’ girlfriend left the residence with her children to run some errands, Davis forced the 12-year-old into a bedroom and raped her.

After sexually assaulting the girl, Davis took her to a bar in the 3300 block of Lancaster Avenue and ordered her to say yes to any man he brought to the car. He told the girl, “she was going to make him some money.”

Davis went into the bar and asked bar patrons if they would like to have sex with the girl for $50. Two men went outside but turned Davis down after seeing that the girl was a child. One of the patrons told the bar’s bouncer.

The bouncer called police and took control of the girl, hiding her in the rear of the establishment until officers arrived. Davis was gone by the time police arrived at the bar, Nickols said.

When Davis returned home, he was confronted by his girlfriend who insisted on knowing what had happened to the girl, Nickols said. During that confrontation, Davis choked his girlfriend who called police, according to a police report. Police took Davis to jail and filed a domestic disturbance report on the assault arrest, police records show.

While Davis was in jail, authorities put “two and two together” and concluded that Davis was responsible for the rape of the 12-year-old, Nickols said.

During the punishment phase of the trial, prosecutors presented evidence that Davis was a gang member with 12 previous convictions, which include robbery, burglary and assault convictions.

“This defendant praised Jesus with the girl and her family that morning, then raped and tried to sell her that night,” Nickols said. “That is utterly revolting.”

Mitch Mitchell, 817-390-7752 Twitter: @mitchmitchel3

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?