Mushroom, cheddar and toast frittata
• 10 large eggs, lightly beaten
• 1/4 cup whole milk
• Coarse salt and pepper
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
• 2 slices sourdough bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
• 1/2 pound button mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
• 6 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
• 1/2 cup shredded cheddar (1 1/2 ounces)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and milk and season with salt and pepper. In a 10-inch oven-safe, nonstick skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add bread and cook, turning, until golden on all sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
2. Add remaining tablespoon butter and the mushrooms, and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Lower heat to medium, add scallion whites and cook until soft, about 3 minutes more. Season. Add egg mixture to skillet, stirring until large curds form and eggs are halfway set, about 2 minutes. Press bread into eggs.
3. Sprinkle with cheese and bake until puffed and center is just set, about 5 minutes to 7 minutes. Top with scallion greens.
Nutritional information per serving: 446 calories, 28 grams fat (11 grams saturated fat), 24 grams carbohydrates, 25 grams protein, 2 grams fiber and 57 percent calories from fat.