Friday’s ruling from a three-judge federal panel in San Antonio almost assures that next year’s party primary elections in Texas will take place as scheduled on March 4.Almost? Well, most likely the elections will go off without a hitch.There is still a flap about state Rep. Lon Burnam’s District 90 in Fort Worth. On Monday, the Texas Latino Redistricting Task Force objected again to changes the Legislature made to District 90 this year. The legislative plan was the same as one approved by the three-judge court last year, except for what the court has called “minimal” changes. Last year, primary elections were delayed several times while the court and the U.S. Supreme Court examined redistricting complaints. Primaries scheduled in March finally were held in late May, with runoffs in July.There’s reason to hope there won’t be similar delays next year, but the Texas Latino Redistricting Task Force seems determined to cause legal havoc if District 90 isn’t changed first.The Task Force objects, it says, because the Legislature moved almost 4,400 residents out of Democrat Burnam’s district into Republican state Rep. Charlie Geren’s District 99. About 900 of those residents were registered voters with Spanish surnames.In trade, lawmakers moved about 4,600 residents, most of them in the Como community of west Fort Worth, out of District 99 into District 90. Only about 400 of them were registered voters with Spanish surnames, according to the task force complaint.The result violates the civil rights of task force members, the complaint says, “by unlawfully diluting the voting strength of Latinos.”Results of last year’s election figure strongly in the complaint. In the Democratic primary, Burnam was challenged by Carlos Vasquez, then vice president of the Fort Worth school board. Burnam won the primary by 159 votes (out of almost 4,000 votes cast) and went on to win the general election in November.So the task force raises the question of whether the net loss of 500 Spanish-surnamed registered voters in District 90 widens what was a narrow gap between Latino and non-Latino voters.The three-judge San Antonio court said in its Friday ruling it had conducted a preliminary review of the task force complaint “and is unable to conclude that the Latino Task Force is likely to succeed on the merits of its claim.”If Vasquez was the candidate of choice for Latino residents of District 90 last year, the court bluntly pointed out, “their candidate of choice did not win the 2012 election …”In addition, the court took pains to describe its go-ahead for elections using maps adopted by the Legislature this year as a temporary plan aimed at preventing delay in the election process. The court’s examination of complaints about Texas redistricting could go on for years.“Although there is still evidence to be presented before the Court reaches a final decision, there is currently insufficient evidence in the record to suggest that the changes to HD 90 were motivated by discriminatory animus,” the ruling says. “Nor is there sufficient evidence at this juncture to suggest that Hispanic voters have been deprived of the opportunity to elect their candidate of choice.”Quoting a 1994 Supreme Court case, the San Antonio judges said voting rights focus on “equality of opportunity, not a guarantee of electoral success for minority-preferred candidates of whatever race.”That means this case is almost locked down for now. But it’s still a lawsuit, and that word almost means things could change.