Suspect in 2011 home-invasion slaying in Fort Worth on trial

Posted Tuesday, Sep. 10, 2013  comments  Print Reprints
A

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

A plan to rob a man suspected of selling marijuana went horribly wrong and ended with the death of an aspiring law school student and the injury of three of his friends, prosecutors said Tuesday during the capital murder trial of one of the suspects.

James Arthur Jones, 23, is the third suspect to be tried in the home-invasion style robbery and subsequent slaying of Kevan Dunlop, a 25-year-old Tuskegee University graduate who had aspirations of being an attorney, according to testimony.

If Jones is convicted of the Jan. 6, 2011, slaying, he faces an automatic life prison sentence without parole.

Jones and three accomplices went to the apartment believing the man who lived there was a marijuana salesman and planned to steal his money and drugs, prosecutor Robert Huseman told the jury during opening statements.

The four suspects did not know that Dunlop and his three friends were playing video games in the apartment with the man, and that some of those friends grew up with the would-be robbers and could identify them, Huseman said.

A gun went off, and “people start running everywhere,” said Huseman, who is prosecuting the case along with Kevin Rousseau. Two of Dunlop’s friends — Darius Hill and Michael Anthony McIntosh Dorsey — were critically wounded. Dunlop’s third friend, Willie Woodard, jumped out of a second-story window to escape and broke his leg.

Dunlop, who ran to a closet for protection, was shot at least three times, prosecutors said.

Two of the suspects arrested in the case have been sentenced. Marquise Brooks, 23, is serving a life prison sentence without the possibility of parole after a conviction earlier this year on a capital murder charge. A second suspect, Floyd Dewayne Myles, 21, pleaded guilty to a murder charge and is serving a 35-year prison sentence in exchange for his testimony against the other co-defendants.

A fourth suspect, Nathaniel Redic, 24, is awaiting trial, according to records from the Tarrant County district clerk’s office. Testimony in the Jones trial will continue this week in state District Judge Robb Catalano’s court.

Mitch Mitchell, 817-390-7752 Twitter: @mitchmitchel3

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse, images, internet links or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?