FOREST HILL — A 76-year-old man who fell asleep on a couch while he was smoking was burned over 90 percent of his body Monday night when a cigarette caught his clothes on fire, a fire official said Tuesday.The blaze burned off most of his shirt and blue jeans, said Assistant Fire Chief Randy Chapman on Tuesday in a telephone interview.When they arrived, firefighters found the man in a kitchen and the flames had been extinguished because there was nothing left to burn, Chapman said.The man who authorities did not identify was taken by helicopter to the burns unit at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas in critical condition. He suffered third degree burns over 80 to 90 percent of his body, officials said. His condition was not available on Tuesday morning.Firefighters responded to the fire call shortly after 8:30 p.m. Monday in the 4700 block of Forest Wood Drive.The man’s wife called 911 after she found her husband burned.“She had left the house for a short time and when she got back she found him in the kitchen,” Chapman said.The 76-year-old man had been sitting and smoking on a couch, which was in a dining room, Chapman said. At some point, he fell asleep and the cigarette caught his clothes on fire.He managed to get up and made his way to the kitchen.
Domingo Ramirez Jr., 817-390-7763 Twitter: @mingoramirezjr