Pythons killed in Bedford apartment fire

Posted Thursday, Aug. 15, 2013  comments  Print Reprints
A

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

The hiss-teria is over.

More than 20 pythons were discovered by firefighters early Thursday in an apartment fire that may have been started by the reptiles. Several of the snakes died in the fire.

A man, his mother and his sister escaped the apartment and were not injured, said Fire Marshal Joey Lankford on Thursday.

“The owner said he had new heating strips for some of the younger pythons,” Lankford said. “He had just put them in that afternoon, but apparently they malfunctioned and caused the fire.”

The blaze was reported about 2:30 a.m. Thursday at the Pecan Creek Apartments in the 2500 block of Central Drive.

Firefighters used a fire extinguisher to knock down the flames which were contained to a bedroom.

“The bedroom is where the snakes were being kept,” Lankford said.

Many of the pythons were young, needing the extra heat.

“I saw at least four that had died,” Lankford said. “There could have been more.”

Along with the snakes and the people in the apartment, there were several dogs and cats in the apartment, officials said. One cat was still missing, but the other animals survived, fire officials said.

The fire displaced just the family in the apartment.

Domingo Ramirez Jr., 817-390-7763 Twitter: @mingoramirezjr

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse, images, internet links or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?