Mineral Wells police find no evidence of foul play after body found in freezer

Posted Monday, Aug. 12, 2013  comments  Print Reprints

Audio: freezer911.mp3

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

The husband of a Mineral Wells woman found dead in a freezer last week told police that she was alive when he left for work, according to a search warrant affidavit obtained by the Star-Telegram on Monday.

Hours later, the woman’s 19-year-old son found her body, face up, in a chest-type freezer in the garage of the family’s home, the affidavit stated.

Mineral Wells police said Monday that they haven’t found evidence of a crime in the death of Shannon Herrin Huddleston, 38.

“We’ve all but eliminated foul play,” Mineral Wells Police Chief Dean Sullivan said Monday. “But the investigation is ongoing.”

In the affidavit, Huddleston’s husband, Cecil, was called a person of interest and investigators believed Huddleston died under suspicious circumstances. Sullivan, however, said the affidavit was based on preliminary findings, and subsequently authorities have updated the case.

The Dallas County medical examiner’s office has not ruled on the cause or manner of Shannon Huddleston’s death because toxicology tests are not complete.

Her son, Jordan Glover, called 911 shortly after 6:30 p.m. Thursday.

“My mother’s dead,” an upset Glover told the dispatcher in the 911 call, which was obtained by the Star-Telegram on Monday. “I opened up the freezer and she’s in there.”

According to the affidavit, on Wednesday night, Huddleston was home with her husband, a family friend and her son at the residence at 1415 SE 19th Street in Mineral Wells.

Glover told police he left about 1:30 a.m. Thursday. Cecil Huddleston said he left for work at 6 a.m. Thursday and that his wife was alive, the affidavit stated. The family friend was asleep on a couch, he said.

Glover told police that he returned to the house shortly after 6:30 p.m. Thursday to get something to eat and found his mother lying on her back in the freezer. He told police that items were thrown all over the garage, which was odd because Cecil Huddleston always kept it neat.

Investigators learned that Shannon Huddleston had texted her supervisor Thursday morning, saying she was not feeling well and would not be at work. She rarely used text messages, according to the affidavit.

The body showed no obvious signs of trauma, police have said.

“There are still more questions than answers, but what we know at this point is there don’t appear to be outward signs of foul play,” Sullivan said. “We have to await the results of the more comprehensive autopsy to determine what occurred.”

Sullivan said police have questioned two other people who were in the residence when the son made the discovery, and other relatives, friends and neighbors are being questioned.

Cecil Huddleston was arrested Friday on a parole-violation warrant, but Sullivan said the arrest was unrelated to the investigation of his wife’s death.

The affidavit lists items seized including a large bottle with water from the freezer, the freezer itself, Shannon Huddleston’s cellphone, two laptops, a zipper case with drug paraphernalia, a diary from a bedroom, a folding pocketknife from a dining room, prescription medicine bottles and a swab with possible blood from a bedroom door.

This report contains information from Star-Telegram archives.

Domingo Ramirez Jr., 817-390-7763 Twitter: @mingoramirezjr

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?