Killer gets life in prison, no parole

Posted Tuesday, Jul. 30, 2013  comments  Print Reprints

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

The family of John Doss II got their day in court today after a plea of guilty by Nicholas David Camfield for capital murder. Camfield accepted a plea offer and was sentenced to spend his life in prison without the possibility of parole. The plea allowed Camfield to avoid the possibility of receiving the death penalty after a trial.

The victim, known as “J.D.” to his friends and family was 24 when he was killed by Camfield, also 24 years old at the time. After Judge Graham Quisenberry sentenced Camfield to life in prison, the victim’s family gave victim allocution statements detailing their loss and venting frustration and anger at the defendant.

The investigation began on January 17, when a family member was unable to get in touch with Doss while Doss was house-sitting for a friend. A witness went to the home, found Camfield there, and discovered blood. The friend called for help and Parker County Sheriff’s Officers arrived to investigate.

Having information that there might be a gun in the house, deputies ordered Camfield out of the house. Once inside the home, they discovered that Doss was deceased and the source of the blood.

During their investigation, Parker County Sheriff’s investigators determined that Camfield committed the murder in the course of burglary of a habitation and/or robbery of Doss. These facts made the case a capital murder under Texas law.

Camfield did not deny murdering his friend and sent text messages to several people in between the time of the murder and the time the deputies arrived to conduct the welfare check on Doss. It is believed Doss was killed on Sunday, January 13, based on eye witness accounts of certain times and dates that Camfield was seen in Weatherford driving Doss’ truck.

Since his arrest, Camfield has been in custody in the Parker County Jail awaiting trial.

“We believe justice in this case required that the defendant never be released back into the public,” said Assistant District Attorney Nikki Rhodes, who prosecuted the case along with Assistant District Attorney Robert DuBoise.Rhodes also said. “There were many facts about this murder that were disturbing, however deeper investigation into the defendant’s mental health history explained some of the unusual facts investigators found at the crime scene.”

She said other details of the murder are simply inexplicable.

“Despite some history of mental illness and drug use, the defendant acknowledged he knew what he was doing at the time of the crime when he entered his guilty plea,” Rhodes added. “The defendant was also evaluated by his own expert who determined the defendant was competent, so the State feels that justice was served with the plea of guilty in exchange for life in prison without the possibility of parole.”

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse, images, internet links or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?