A driver and a 2-year-old boy killed in crash on West Loop 820

Posted Monday, Jul. 29, 2013  comments  Print Reprints

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

A 2-year-old boy and a 37-year-old man were killed early Monday in a three-vehicle crash in northbound lanes of West Loop 820, police reported.

The boy with his mother and a sibling were walking away from their wrecked car on a shoulder of the loop when they were hit, officer Tracey Knight, a police spokeswoman, said.

The mother was taken to a hospital with life-threatening injuries, Knight said. The 2-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene. The second child was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, Knight said.

The dead child had not been identified by Monday evening.

The man was identified as Brent Moore of Fort Worth. He was pronounced dead at 1:34 a.m. on the ramp to northbound Loop 820 at Westpoint Boulevard, the Tarrant County medical examiner’s office reported.

The collisions began sometime after 1 a.m. when the mother, 28, lost control of her Pontiac, investigators reported. The Pontiac “skidded across the freeway, striking the concrete barrier wall and coming to a stop,” Knight said.

Seconds later, Moore, who was driving a Honda, tried to avoid the Pontiac and swerved onto the left shoulder but lost control. His car stopped facing the barrier wall, Knight said.

The mother with two children got out of the Pontiac, and they were walking north on the left shoulder when a Chevrolet El Camino swerved to avoid the Pontiac, Knight said.

“The El Camino struck the female driver of the Pontiac and one of her children,” Knight said.

The El Camino also struck Moore’s Honda on the driver’s side door, Knight said. Moore was pronounced dead at scene.

The driver of the El Camino, a 22-year-old man, was transported to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Moore’s father, John Albert Moore, said Brent Moore was alone in his Honda, driving to his home in north Fort Worth.

His son might have been on his way home from his longtime job with PepsiCo, the elder Moore said.

“It’s nothing to see him come in late at night after putting up signs or stocking stores with Pepsi,” he said. “He went to the stores a lot. When someone else couldn’t make it, he’d go.”

Staff writer Bill Miller contributed to this report.

Terry Evans, 817-390-7620 Twitter: @fwstevans

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?