Tarrant studies questionable road project

Posted Tuesday, Jul. 09, 2013  comments  Print Reprints
A

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

Tarrant County officials looking into alleged overpayments on a road project in southeast Fort Worth say they have not finished their investigation into whether a contractor was paid for work he did not do.

County Auditor Renee Tidwell, who had said she expected to deliver a report on the matter to county commissioners Tuesday, said she is still conducting interviews.

Marc Flake, a county spokesman, said County Administrator G.K. Maenius also has not concluded his investigation.

Last spring, contractor Randle D. Howard was paid more than $36,000 to build a driveway and drainage culverts on a Precinct 1 road project at Rendon Bloodworth Road and Farm Road 1187.

But more than $14,000 of the work was done by two other companies that were also paid, according to documents obtained by the Star-Telegram under the Texas Public Information Act.

Howard was also paid $6,000 more for pouring a concrete slab on private property, an apparent violation of county rules.

Maenius said last month that county workers are not allowed to build on private property. He also said the county is reviewing the $14,000 in concrete work to determine whether the county was overbilled.

“We are working on this. It’s not good; it’s not good at all,” Maenius said at the time.

Howard went before the Commissioners Court on June 25 to deny any wrongdoing.

“I have never given or paid any kickback or under-the-table” payments to “any Tarrant County official, nor have any ever been requested of me,” Howard said.

Steve Campbell, 817-390-7981 Twitter: @stevecamp

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse, images, internet links or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?