Fort Worth shooting suspect told police he ‘did something bad’

Posted Wednesday, Jul. 03, 2013  Print Reprints

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

An hour after Amos J. Wells III’s pregnant girlfriend, her mother and her little brother were shot, Wells walked into the Forest Hill Police Department, telling officers to arrest him because he “did something bad.”

Wells, 22, was turned over to Fort Worth police, who questioned and formally arrested him Tuesday. He faces a charge of capital murder and was in the Mansfield jail with bail set at $2 million.

Family members were grappling to understand Tuesday what prompted the shootings of Chanice Reed, 22, who was expecting the couple’s first child, as well as her mother, Annette Reed, and 10-year-old brother, Eddie McCuin.

“I want to know why,” said a sobbing Monique Myers, 25, a cousin of the two younger victims. “How could you do something like that to a person you so-call love and you’ve been with for so long? How could you do a hateful crime like this? It just don’t add up.”

Relatives are holding a candlelight vigil Wednesday night at 8 p.m. to honor the slain. It will be held outside the victims’ house at 2917 Pate Drive, where the fatal shooting occurred.

Fort Worth police Sgt. Joe Loughman would say only that investigators believe the shooting was preceded by an argument among Annette Reed, Chanice Reed and Wells that “at some point became violent.”

“I have no idea why he went after the 10-year-old,” Loughman said.

Police say Wells fled the house after the shooting.

The three victims were taken to hospitals, where they were pronounced dead Monday night.

Eddie McCuin was pronounced dead at 7:05 p.m. Monday of multiple gunshot wounds.

“You don’t have a heart if you can kill, point-blank, like that. Go in a house and kill an innocent kid,” Myers said.

Chanice Reed died five minutes after her brother from gunshots to the head and abdomen. Medical personnel could not save her baby, police said.

Her mother was pronounced dead at 9:56 p.m.

About 7:15 p.m. Monday, Wells turned himself in to Forest Hill police.

“He apparently walked into our lobby and said we needed to arrest him because he ‘did something bad,’” Forest Hill Police Chief Dan Dennis said.

‘Relationship issues’

Tarrant County court records show that Wells had been accused of domestic violence twice, neither case involving Chanice Reed.

In April 2008, Wells was sentenced to one year of deferred-adjudication probation in a case of assault with bodily injury. The case was closed in May 2009 after he completed probation.

In May 2011, Wells was convicted of misdemeanor assault with bodily injury and sentenced to 15 days in jail for choking a former girlfriend who is the mother of one of his children. Wells was permitted to serve a portion of his time on a labor detail, court records say.

In applying for a protective order, the woman stated that Amos had assaulted her on repeated occasions, was very violent and had an anger problem.

The woman stated that she was “trying to do everything I can to stay safe and stay alive.”

“I feel the next time Amos get a hold of me, I won’t be alive,” the former girlfriend stated.

Myers said Chanice Reed and Wells had initially just been friends and began dating a few years ago after graduating together from Everman High School.

“The relationship kind of was unexpected,” Myers said.

She said her cousin had talked off and on of breaking up with Wells, who did not live with her.

Loughman acknowledged Tuesday that “there were some relationship issues.”

Myers said the family had gathered last weekend for a surprise party to celebrate their grandmother’s 80th birthday. Wells, who was at a bachelor party, did not attend, Myers said.

“I have this video of us dancing and singing. The whole family was there,” Myers said.

Myers said she had talked to Chanice Reed on the telephone twice earlier Monday, discussing plans for another family get-together and names that Chanice Reed was considering for her unborn boy. Myers said her cousin was considering naming the baby after Wells but wasn’t 100 percent sure.

‘I just don’t understand’

Annette Reed’s son had talked to the family shortly before the shooting, Myers said, and heard some kind of disturbance in the background.

“He was on the phone with his mom. He heard conversation in the background. He kept asking his mom, ‘What’s going on?’ She said: ‘Nothing. Everything’s fine. Everything’s cool.’”

Concerned, the son went to the house but the shooting had already occurred, she said.

“I know time heals wounds, and I know my family is strong,” Myers said. “I know we can get through it but it’s so hard to grasp that this is real when you just spent an awesome weekend with your whole family together, laughing and having a good time, and then two days later, you get a phone call.”

Myers said that now she just wants to know why.

“I hope he opens his mouth and talks. I want to know everything. What made him go to the house and do that? I just don’t understand,” Myers said. “But I know it’s still not going to bring them back.

“I don’t care how much justice is served, it’s still not going to be enough because at the end of the day, he’s still living and they’re not.”

Deanna Boyd, 817-390-7655 Twitter: @deannaboyd

2900 block of Pate Drive, Fort Worth, TX
Loading map ...