Police: Couple shot dead in Grand Prairie by ex-husband who kills himself

Posted Sunday, Jun. 30, 2013  comments  Print Reprints

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

GRAND PRAIRIE A gunman fatally shot his ex-wife in a yard and her boyfriend in a home on Hill Top Lane early Sunday before he killed himself, police said.

Two children who were in the house on Hill Top Lane during the shooting were not injured, police said.

Police identified the victims as Jenea James, 37, and James Doyle, 41. The suspect was identified as Dashun Atkins, 39.

Officers responded to a report of a shooting about 2:15 a.m. Sunday in the 4200 block of Hill Top Lane.

There, police discovered James in a yard. Doyle was found near the front door of a nearby home on Hill Top Lane, Det. Lyle Gensler said Sunday. Doyle had been spending the night, police said.

James was not in the yard of the home where Doyle’s body was found, police said.

The children were placed in protective custody after the shooting, police said. The kids were the children of James and Atkins.

James called police repeatedly about her ex-husband Saturday. Shortly before 9 a.m., she called to report that she had received harassing telephone calls from Atkins. An officer was sent to her home on Hill Top Lane, but she declined to pursue charges. She was given information on getting a restraining order, police said.

At about 11 p.m. Saturday, James again called police to say Atkins was still harassing her, driving by her home. An officer went to the home, but Atkins was not in the neighborhood. The officer called Atkins and advised him to stop harassing his ex-wife. The officer also continued to check on the house late Saturday and early Sunday from time to time.

At 11:51 p.m. Saturday, police received a call from one of Atkins’ relatives in Louisiana, saying she had received a call from him saying his good-byes. Atkins told his relative that he had gotten into an argument with his ex-wife.

Once they got Atkins’ address, officers went to his apartment, where Atkins told police that he did not intend to harm himself or anyone else. A female friend who was there told officers she supported what Atkins said.

After they found James and Doyle early Sunday, police went back to Atkins’ home and found that he had shot himself, authorities said Sunday. Evidence in his apartment linked him to the slayings, but police did not provide details.

Domingo Ramirez Jr., 817-390-7763

Twitter: @mingoramirezjr

Looking for comments?

4200 block of Hill Top Lane, Grand Prairie, TX
Loading map ...

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?