FORT WORTH — A 25-year-old man has been jailed in connection with the 2006 fatal drive-by shooting of a 16-year-old boy.Police say Alberto Soto was with other occupants inside a light blue compact car when he fired several shots at a group of people standing outside a residence in the 3500 block of N.W. 27th Street on the early morning of Jan. 8, 2006.Luis Avila, who had been visiting his friend’s house when the shooting occurred, was struck in the chest. He was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead from his injury a short time later.Homicide Sgt. Cheryl Johnson said Soto was identified as a possible suspect in the initial investigation but no arrest was made.This year, cold case Detective Kerry Adcock reopened the case and was able to gather additional information to obtain a murder warrant against Soto, she said. Soto was arrested Wednesday and remained held in the Mansfield jail Thursday with bail set at $500,000.Johnson said the shooting is believed to be gang-related.
Deanna Boyd, 817-390-7655 Twitter: @deannaboyd