UTA classes resume after threat closed campus

Posted Wednesday, Jun. 19, 2013  comments  Print Reprints

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

Authorities announced that the threat of a gunman headed to the University of Texas at Arlington campus has passed and the campus has reopened.

Normal class schedules will resume at noon Wednesday.

Just before 11 a.m. Wednesday, police arrested a UTA student in Dallas that triggered the alert, according to local television news. He held authorities at bay from his apartment for a short time before he surrendered and taken to a mental hospital, according to WFAA-TV.

Classes, events and summer camps at the campus were closed Wednesday morning after authorities received a report that an armed man was headed to the campus.

Kristin Sullivan, assistant Vice President for media relations, said there was no indication that the suspect actually made it to campus.

She said the university acted on a phone tip from a woman that a man with a gun was on his way to campus. Sullivan wasn’t sure if the call was made to the Dallas police or to the university police.

“There was never any information that he actually came to campus,” Sullivan said.

Sullivan said the university took immediate steps to secure the campus and made the decision, since it was the beginning of the day, to take the precautionary step of shutting down the campus, a step that impacted several thousand people.

“The university takes this kind of threat very seriously,” Sullivan said. “We will do an all clear as soon as the person is located.”

Sullivan described the situation behind the phone call as being a domestic “boyfriend, girlfriend thing.” She said there are indication that the man is in Dallas.

An alert was issued shortly before 4:30 a.m. Wednesday indicating that the man was headed to the campus. UTA police received the information from Dallas police. At that time, school officials noted that anyone on campus should stay indoors and anyone coming to the campus should stay away.

At 6:17 a.m., UTA police continued to investigate the unconfirmed report, according to a UTA alert. Officials still advised anyone to stay away from the campus or stay indoors.

Shortly after 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, officials announced that the campus remained closed.

Staff writer Max Baker contributed to this report.

Domingo Ramirez Jr., 817-390-7763 Twitter: @mingoramirezjr

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?