Gunmen targeted older cousin but killed 12-year-old, Fort Worth police say

Posted Tuesday, Jun. 18, 2013  comments  Print Reprints
How to help Anyone with information on the case should call police at 817-392-4338 or 817-335-4222 or Crime Stoppers at 817-469-8477. Residents can also contact police at

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

Two gunmen, one armed with an assault rifle and the other with a handgun, sprayed a Fort Worth house with bullets this month trying to kill a teen, but they instead gunned down a 12-year-old boy standing in a driveway, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

A 17-year-old cousin of James Hardemon, 12, was shot in the leg but survived the June 1 attack. Hardemon died a few days after the shooting.

Police have arrested one of the suspects — Daniel “Hawk” Anderson, 23 — but the search continued for three other suspects in the shooting in the 4400 block of Eastover Avenue.

Anderson said that the teen pulled a gun on him earlier in the day and that the attack occurred because “he was going to get him,” according to the affidavit, obtained Tuesday by the Star-Telegram.

Anderson and three other suspects described as “kin folks” piled into a black car and drove to Eastover Avenue. They were armed with an assault rifle and two handguns. The black car was followed by a sport utility vehicle occupied by two other men whom Anderson knew, according to the affidavit.

When the car drove in front of the Eastover Avenue house, Anderson told a witness that he saw a “light skinned black male with long hair” standing in the doorway.

Anderson told a witness that he got out of the black car with another suspect and “sprayed the trigger,” according to the affidavit.

“I heard brakes. Then shooting started,” Hardemon’s 17-year-old cousin told the Star-Telegram a few days after the shooting.

The 17-year-old cousin was inside the home. He is not being identified because suspects remain at large.

“James was standing in the driveway. The car pulled away and I saw James just down on the driveway,” the cousin said.

Hardemon was shot in the head as he stood in the driveway listening to music. He was the only one standing outside the house. His mother, grandmother, cousin and two other small children were inside, most of them asleep.

After shooting up the house, Anderson and the other gunman jumped back into the black car, which sped away. Anderson returned to a house on Killian Street and handed two handguns to a witness, according to the affidavit.

Anderson told a witness that “he felt bad for the guy who was in the driveway.”

Hardemon had been a student at Dunbar Middle School.

Working on information from witnesses and evidence from the scene, police arrested Anderson last week at a home on Killian Street.

Anderson was in the Mansfield Jail on Tuesday, with bail set at $100,000. He faces a charge of murder, police said.

The three other suspects are armed and dangerous, police say.

This report includes material from the Star-Telegram archives.

Domingo Ramirez Jr., 817-390-7763 Twitter: @mingoramirezjr

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?