Fort Worth man gets 18 years in the fatal shooting of a Como store clerk

Posted Tuesday, Jun. 11, 2013  comments  Print Reprints
A

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

A 21-year-old Fort Worth man has been sentenced to 18 years in prison after pleading guilty to an aggravated robbery charge in the fatal shooting of a 38-year-old Como store clerk who had immigrated here from Sudan.

Nicholas Dewayne King of Fort Worth was indicted on a capital murder charge in the death of Yasir Elsadig, who was shot after closing up Larry’s Grocery and Market, 5536 Bonnell St., on the night of Nov. 2, 2011.

Police found Elsadig lying in the street, shot in the leg and pelvis. An assault rifle was nearby. Elsadig told officers that two men, one with a gun, tried to hold him up him and that he was shot as he struggled with one of the men for the weapon.

Elsadig died the next day. He had been in the United States for about 12 years.

King and two juvenile co-defendants were arrested in January 2011.

King’s guilty plea and sentence were the result of an agreement with prosecutors accepted Monday in state District Judge Louis Sturns’ court.

“It became abundantly clear that the shooter was not King, it was one of the juveniles,” King’s attorney, Wes Ball, said. “There was a lot of finger pointing back and forth.”

Three of Elsadig’s relatives have been in Texas awaiting King’s trial, said an older brother, who asked not to be identified for fear of retaliation.

“Next month, my father, my stepmother and my brother will have been here a year,” the brother said. “We are helping them arrange their return to Sudan now.

“It’s been tough. Just for them to be here this long and the circumstances surrounding my brother’s death — it was not fair really.”

Elsadig was working two jobs because he planned to marry and wanted to save some money, and also he was sending money home to his parents, the brother said.

King also had been indicted on an unrelated aggravated assault charge in a shooting on Nov. 13, 2011. He also pleaded guilty to that charge on Monday and was sentenced to 18 years in prison.

The 18-year sentences will run concurrently, and King will have to serve half of his time, with credit for time served, before he is eligible for parole, Ball said. King has been in jail for about 18 months, Ball said.

Two 16-year-olds arrested in the Elsadig case — one who may have been the shooter and the other who was a lookout — reached plea bargains in juvenile court last year, according to the Tarrant County district attorney’s office.

The one who may have been the shooter received a 15-year determinate sentence for capital murder on May 8, which will be served at a Texas Juvenile Justice Department facility, a spokeswoman said. The lookout was sentenced on May 9 to a 12-year determinate sentence for aggravated robbery, the spokeswoman said.

With a determinate sentence, a juvenile court judge will decide before each teen’s 19th birthday whether to transfer them to adult prison to serve out their time or release them on adult parole, the spokeswoman said.

“After consulting with the victim’s family and taking into consideration all the available evidence and circumstances in the case, we felt this was an appropriate resolution,” the spokeswoman said in an emailed statement.

In 2010 and 2011, King was sentenced to 10 months on burglary charges and 15 days on evading arrest and criminal trespass charges, Tarrant County district clerk’s records show.

This contains material from Star-Telegram archives.

Mitch Mitchell, 817-390-7752 Twitter: @mitchmitchel3

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse, images, internet links or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?