Teen found beaten to death in Fort Worth park was raising family, helping mother

Posted Friday, May. 24, 2013  comments  Print Reprints

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

At 17, Nicholas Anderson carried a lot of responsibility on his shoulders.

A young father, he was raising a baby with his girlfriend, and he helped his mother, who can’t work.

After dropping out of Polytechnic High School, Anderson earned a high school diploma online and worked at McDonald’s at John Peter Smith Hospital. He was making it work for his family, relatives said this week.

Last week, the teenager’s body was found in Glenwood Park in the 900 block of Riverside Drive. He had been hit in the head, authorities said.

“He was last seen leaving his home to meet a friend,” said Lyndia Thomas, Anderson’s grandmother and a former Forest Hill city councilwoman.

“The next thing we know is he’s found dead in the park near his home. We don’t know why, what happened, or anything at this time.”

The body was found about 7 a.m. May 15 in bushes in the city park. His car, minus its radio, was found a short time later.

The Tarrant County medical examiner’s office ruled Anderson’s death a homicide caused by massive blunt force trauma to his head.

No one had been arrested as of Thursday, and police provided no additional information about the slaying.

“We just don’t have many answers,” Thomas said in an interview this week.

Anderson was usually the one who came up with the answers about what he needed to do for his family, she said.

He lived with his mother, girlfriend and 2-month-old son in a house near Glenwood Park. His mother has not worked for six years, Thomas said.

For the last few months, Anderson had been working at McDonald’s and studying online. He earned his high school diploma in February through Lincoln Academy, an Internet diploma program.

“He knew he needed it,” Thomas said.

On the night of May 14, Thomas called Anderson to tell him that she wouldn’t be able to care for the baby, Zayden Marquise Anderson, because she was ill.

So Anderson and his girlfriend left their son with other relatives.

“When they got home, he said he was going to meet this friend and he would be right back,” Thomas said.

“He wasn’t one of those that would have stayed out all night. He was trying to make something of himself. I was so proud of him.”

Domingo Ramirez Jr., 817-390-7763

Twitter: @mingoramirezjr


10 a.m. Saturday at First Missionary Baptist Church, 4928 Miller Ave., Fort Worth. Burial: Cedar Hill Memorial Park.

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?