Man gunned down in Southlake Town Square, police report

Posted Thursday, May. 23, 2013  comments  Print Reprints

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

A 43-year-old man sitting in a car with his wife in busy Southlake Town Square was fatally shot Wednesday evening by a gunman who fled in a white sport utility vehicle, police reported.

The victim, who was not identified Wednesday, was pronounced dead a short time later at Baylor Regional Medical Center at Grapevine, according to Kim Leach, a Southlake police spokeswoman.

The man’s wife, who was driving, was not hurt, police said.

The shooting did not appear to be random, Police Chief Stephen Mylett said.

There were numerous witnesses to the shooting, which occurred about 6:45 p.m. It was dinnertime and still light on a pleasant evening in the fashionable, family-oriented shopping and dining district in the Northeast Tarrant County suburb.

Southlake had not had a homicide since 1999, and before that since 1994. Both were domestic homicides.

The couple were in a red Range Rover parked outside a shop in the 100 block of Grand Avenue when the SUV pulled up about 6:45 p.m., witnesses told police.

The gunman fired five or six times from the passenger seat in an SUV driven by another man.

The SUV sped west on Farm Road 1709, also called West Southlake Boulevard.

Some witnesses reported that the gunman was wearing a mask, but that had not been confirmed Wednesday night, Mylett said.

Police in area cities were told to look for the white SUV. Radio broadcasts told officers that the weapon might be a handgun fitted with a “silencer” or sound suppressor.

“I’ve heard that,” Leach said. “But I can’t confirm it.”

In Keller, police were monitoring reports of a white SUV that was described as a getaway vehicle. Lt. Brenda Slovak, a Keller police spokeswoman, said officers stopped a similar SUV that turned out to be the wrong vehicle.

In the earlier Southlake homicides, Dr. Scott C. Stone Jr. flew to Southlake in 1999 from North Carolina and ambushed his ex-wife, also a physician, while she was jogging. He then killed himself.

In 1994, Terence O’Regan stabbed his estranged wife because he was afraid that she would reveal his “penchant for cross-dressing,” according to a Star-Telegram report. He pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 30 years in prison.

This report includes material from the Star-Telegram archives.

Bill Miller, 817-390-7684 Twitter: @Bill_MillerST

Looking for comments?

Southlake Town Square, Southlake, Texas
Loading map ...

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?