NFL star’s sister shot four times, her mother testifies in Fort Worth

Posted Tuesday, May. 07, 2013  comments  Print Reprints

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

Jennifer Johnson’s live-in boyfriend shot her four times, including twice as she lay mortally wounded, then stood over her and said, “Now, go put that on Facebook,” Johnson’s mother testified Tuesday at the boyfriend’s murder trial.

Eugene Esters, 48, is on trial in the slaying of Johnson on Dec. 5, 2011. If convicted, he could serve 99 years in prison.

Jennifer Johnson’s mother, Della Johnson, 53, was also shot.

“He got to the front of his vehicle and just started shooting,” Della Johnson testified. “She was down at the first shot, but he walked around and shot her again while he was standing by the door.

“Then he walked around and shot her two more times as she was lying down.”

Right after that, Esters put a bullet into Della Johnson’s chest, she told the jury.

“I put my feet back in the car and lay over on my console because I didn’t know if he was going to shoot me again,” she said. “Then he said, ‘Damn, I thought I had a bullet for myself.’ To me, that meant he didn’t have any more bullets.”

Jennifer Johnson, the sister of Chris Johnson, cornerback for the Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens, was shot in the parking lot of the La Plaza apartment complex off Woodhaven Boulevard in east Fort Worth.

Esters had been living with her at La Plaza for four years; they had been in a relationship for six, according to witness testimony.

Esters told police that he slept in his car the night before the shooting.

Della Johnson told jurors that she had gone to her daughter’s home to help jump-start her car and that Esters slept in his vehicle to keep it from getting towed away.

“Esters was hollering, ‘Call 911, there’s been a murder,’” Della Johnson told the jury. “And he was telling me that I needed to sit my stupid ass down before I bled to death.”

On Monday, Esters rejected a plea agreement that would have sent him to prison for 55 years. He would have had to serve half the sentence before he could be considered for parole, according to the Tarrant County district attorney’s office.

The trial will continue today in state District Judge Robb Catalano’s court. Sean Colston and Rhett Parham are prosecuting the case; Abe Factor and Clay Graham are attorneys for the defendant.

Mitch Mitchell, 817-390-7752 Twitter: @mitchmitchel3

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?