911 call: ‘My mom’s boyfriend just killed my mom and my other brother’

Posted Saturday, May. 04, 2013  comments  Print Reprints

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

When he fled Roxann Sanchez’s apartment Wednesday night, Cedric Ricks apparently believed that he had left everyone dead except the couple’s 8-month-old son.

“My cousin just called and said he killed his girlfriend and her two sons,” a panicked woman told 911 dispatchers in the first call that police received in response to stabbings at a Bedford apartment complex.

But Sanchez’s oldest son, 12-year-old Marcus Figueroa, wasn’t dead.

A short time later, the boy called 911 himself.

“Can you help me?” he asked the dispatcher, calmly and clearly answering questions about his location.

“My mom’s boyfriend just killed my mom and my other brother. Please hurry. Please,” he said, starting to cry before gathering himself again.

“Are you hurt?” dispatchers would later ask.


“Where did he hurt you?”


When police arrived, they found Sanchez and her 8-year-old son, Anthony Figueroa, dead.

The couple’s 8-month-old son, who could be heard crying in the background of the 911 call, was uninjured but taken to a hospital to be evaluated before being placed in foster care.

Marcus was covered in blood from multiple stab wounds, apparently to the back of his neck. He was taken to Cook Children’s Medical Center in Fort Worth and is expected to recover.

“The young man showed great strength and determination considering the horrific events that he had just experienced,” Bedford police Lt. David Smith said. “We wish him well and hope he has a speedy recovery.”

What prompted the stabbings remained unclear Friday, although witnesses told police that they heard sounds of fighting in the apartment.

Ricks told his cousin in the phone call after the stabbings that he was sorry and stressed and that he “couldn’t take it anymore.” He also said he was “cut up” and “hurt” and needed stitches, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

“Nobody loves me,” the affidavit quotes him telling his cousin, adding that he was “not going to jail.”

‘His left eye is shut’

Less than three hours later, Ricks was in jail after being tracked through his cellphone to Ardmore, Okla. The Oklahoma Highway Patrol found him driving Sanchez’s Nissan Altima and arrested him on two warrants alleging murder and one alleging criminal attempted murder.

Ricks was returned to the Tarrant County Jail early Friday evening.

He has been charged with capital murder in the slayings of Roxann Sanchez and Anthony Figueroa and with serious bodily injury in the attack on Marcus Figueroa.

Prosecutors have not decided whether to seek the death penalty, a spokeswoman for the Tarrant County district attorney’s office said.

Ricks obviously had been badly beaten recently. Terry Grisham, a spokesman for the Tarrant County Sheriff’s Department, said he asked Ricks about his injuries. The prisoner said he was beaten up in his cell in Oklahoma but declined to elaborate.

“No one told us he was coming in an injured state,” Grisham said. “His whole face is swollen. His left eye is shut.”

Grisham said Ricks was taken to John Peter Smith Hospital for an exam. He will be isolated from other inmates while in the Tarrant County Jail, Grisham said.

On Saturday morning, the Garvin County Sheriff’s Office in Oklahoma released a statement saying that Ricks’ injuries were not as significant as they appeared to be and that he did not require hospitalization. Ricks was not “badly beaten,” as Tarrant authorities described him, Sheriff Larry Rhodes said in the statement.

Rhodes said at least five inmates assaulted Ricks “with their hands and feet” on Thursday afternoon.

"Our investigation of the jail incident revealed Cedric Ricks made comments about the killings to other inmates, which angered them, resulting in Ricks receiving visible injuries to his face,” the statement said.

Out on bail

Bedford Police Chief Roger Gibson said investigators have received conflicting reports on whether Ricks had been staying at Sanchez’s apartment recently.

Ricks was free on bail on an assault charge based on a complaint that he choked Sanchez in November.

According to an arrest warrant affidavit in that case, Ricks and Sanchez arrived at the Bedford Police Department in separate vehicles.

Ricks said he and Sanchez argued over “girlfriends that he had at work.” He said that he decided to leave and Sanchez grabbed at him but that he pushed her away. He said he didn’t know she was headed for the Police Department, but he came to tell his side of the story, according to the affidavit.

Sanchez said she walked into a room where Ricks was finishing a breathing treatment for their baby. She said she saw Ricks toss the crying baby down on the bed and that he “struck it in the chest,” the affidavit stated.

Sanchez threatened to call police, but Ricks “knocked her to the floor while she was holding the baby, grabbed her by the neck and began choking her and banging her head against the floor.”

The trip to the Police Department led to the issuance of an emergency protective order against Ricks, which expired Jan. 15, and an investigation by Child Protective Services about Ricks’ behavior with the infant.

CPS investigators said that the baby showed no injuries and that, when the case was closed, Ricks and Sanchez were no longer together, and he had no contact with her or the children.

A Tarrant County grand jury reviewed the complaint about the child, but did not indict Ricks. He was, however, indicted for assault/family violence based on Sanchez’s complaint that he choked her. That case was pending when she and her son were killed this week.

Staff writer Bill Miller contributed to this report.

Deanna Boyd, 817-390-7655 Twitter: @deannaboyd

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?