Man arrested in fatal stabbings of estranged girlfriend, 8-year-old son in Bedford

Posted Thursday, May. 02, 2013  comments  Print Reprints



Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

A 38-year-old man was arrested in Oklahoma late Wednesday, accused of fatally stabbing his estranged girlfriend and her 8-year-old son and wounding the woman’s 12-year-old son inside a Bedford apartment hours earlier.

The couple’s only child together _ an 8-month-old boy _ was found uninjured in the apartment and has been placed in foster care.

Police responding to 911 calls from the 12-year-old boy and another family member arrived at the Colonial Village at Shoal Creek apartment in the 1400 block of Park Place Boulevard about 8:45 p.m. to find Roxann Diana Sanchez, 30, and her son, Anthony Reyes Figueroa, dead inside.

Her 12-year-old son, Marcus Figueroa, had suffered stab wounds and remained hospitalized Thursday.

Not long after the slayings, Bedford police had put out an alert, asking for the public’s assistance in finding Cedric Allen Ricks, who they suspected might be driving the victim’s 2011 Nissan Altima. Police described Ricks as “armed and dangerous.”

Ricks was captured about 11:15 p.m. Wednesday after Oklahoma Highway Patrol located the Nissan about 70 miles north of the Texas/Oklahoma border, police said. He surrendered without incident and was being held Thursday in the Garvin County Jail, said Bedford police Lt. David Smith.

He was being held on two warrants for murder and one warrant from criminal attempt murder. Combined bail was set at $4.5 million, Smith said.

Police had not commented on the motive behind the slayings as of Thursday morning but court records indicate that Ricks had been indicted in December on an assault charge for allegedly choking Sanchez on Nov. 11.

He had also been charged with injury to a child in connection with the incident but was no-billed on that charge by a Tarrant County grand jury, court records show.

Ricks was free on a $7,500 bond in the assault case when the stabbings occurred Wednesday night.

CPS investigation

Marissa Gonzales said Child Protective Services had previously investigated the couple in connection with the November domestic violence incident.

Gonzales said Sanchez had alleged that Ricks had been “rough” with their infant but that no injuries were noted on the child during the investigation.

By the case’s conclusion, Gonzales said, Ricks and Sanchez were not together and he was not having any contact with her or the children.

“She didn’t want any contact with him and she wanted to protect her children,” said Gonzales, a CPS spokeswoman. “Of course, we don’t know what happened between then and now.”

Smith said Sanchez had an emergency protective order against Ricks that had expired Jan. 15.

He said Sanchez had previously lived at the apartment with Sanchez, “but we do not know at this time if he was back in the residence.”

Sanchez and Ricks’ Facebook pages indicate the couple were, at the very least, still in communication. Both their pages also featured photographs of the couple together.

Counselors at school

Judy Ramos, spokeswoman for the Hurst-Euless-Bedford school district, said extra counselor were on hand Thursday at Spring Garden Elementary School, where Anthony was a third-grader and Marcus in the sixth grade, and will return Friday.

“We have extra counselors today on campus primarily for faculty and staff. They either found out about it last night or are finding out this morning. They are the ones in shock and dealing with it immediately,” Ramos said.

She said a letter was being sent home with students Thursday afternoon to explain the loss to parents. She said extra counselors will be available again on the campus Friday to help students as they learn about, and try to cope with, the tragedy.

Reyes Figueroa, the 8- and 12-year-old boys’ father, declined to comment Thursday.

The slayings startled residents at the complex, including Renee Trudgett, who was in the process of moving in when fire trucks first roared through the parking lot Wednesday evening.

Trudgett said she first believed someone had fallen or injured themselves. Hours later, when she noticed emergency crews were still there, she wondered if someone had drowned in the complex’s pool.

Trudgett said her mother eventually went over and found out that that there had been a domestic disturbance in which a woman and two children had been stabbed, two fatally.

“I was like, Oh My Gosh! This is not what I need!,” Trudgett said.

Trudgett said she has struggled to live on her own since the slaying of her uncle, Brett Curlee, in 2001.

“I finally get the courage to do it and then the first night I’m here, something like this happens,” Trudgett said. “I was up until 2 a.m. I could not sleep.”

Another neighbor, Rhonda White, said she had noticed Sanchez’s Altima filled with clothing Saturday.

She said a co-worker of Sanchez, who worked as a medical assistant at The Woman’s Group in Bedford, stopped by the complex Thursday and told her that Sanchez been planning to move out with her sons.

Deanna Boyd, 817-390-7655

Twitter: @deannaboyd

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?