Police identify man who threatened baby sitter with a bomb

Posted Tuesday, Apr. 23, 2013  comments  Print Reprints

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

HALTOM CITY -- A man arrested after authorities say he threatened his baby sitter with a bomb Monday afternoon has been identified as Javier Payan of Watauga, police said Tuesday.

Payan, 29, was accused of terroristic threatening and was in the North Richland Hills Jail on Tuesday, with bail set at $5,000.

The sitter, who was not identified, was also in custody Tuesday, accused of injury to a child, police said.

Payan was arrested Monday evening after SWAT officers and a bomb squad descended on the Fossil Hill Apartments on Beach Street on the Haltom City-Fort Worth border.

The incident began shortly before 3:30 p.m. when police responded to a call about an injured child at Cook Children's Medical Center in Fort Worth. Authorities said the child was injured at the sitter's apartment. The child remained in the hospital Tuesday, but a condition was not available.

When Payan found out about the injury, police said, he became upset and drove to the sitter's home.

When Payan arrived at the complex, police were there, but he refused to get out of his vehicle and threatened to set off a bomb, according to police reports.

Police in tactical gear surrounded Payan's sport utility vehicle with weapons drawn.

"He was upset, and he had made some threat to kill people and blow the place up," said Cpl. Joe Hackfeld, a Haltom City police spokesman.

Officers negotiated with him while evacuating part of the complex.

Police patrol units and SWAT vehicles rushed to the complex. Agencies included Fort Worth, Haltom City, Watauga and North Richland Hills police, and the Northeast Tarrant County bomb squad.

Payan surrendered Monday night, and no explosive devices or weapons were found.

Ashley Green, who recently moved to the Fossil Creek neighborhood in far north Fort Worth, said police stopped traffic on North Beach Street and kept her from getting home.

Fort Worth officers helped with traffic control, said Capt. Kevin Rodricks, a police spokesman.

Staff writer Bill Miller and correspondent Jimmy Alford contributed to this report.

Domingo Ramirez Jr.,


Twitter: @mingoramirezjr

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?