Police identify man who threatened babysitter with a bomb

Posted Tuesday, Apr. 23, 2013  comments  Print Reprints

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

HALTOM CITY -- The man arrested after authorities say he threatened his babysitter Monday afternoon with a bomb has been identified as Javier Payan of Watauga, police said Tuesday.

The babysitter, who was not identified, was also in custody Tuesday with injury-to-a-child charges pending, police said.

Payan was in the North Richland Hills Jail Tuesday in lieu of $5,000 bail, facing a charge of terroristic threat.

Police arrested Payan Monday evening after SWAT officers and a bomb squad descended on the Fossil Hill Apartments on Beach Street on the border of Haltom City and Fort Worth.

The incident began shortly before 3:30 p.m. Monday when police responded to call of an injured child at Cook Children's Medical Center in Fort Worth. Authorities said the child was injured at the babysitter's apartment. The child remained in the hospital Tuesday, but a condition was not available.

When he found out about the injury, police said that Payan became upset and decided to drive to the babysitter's home, police said Tuesday.

When Payan arrived at the complex, police were there, but he refused to get out of his vehicle and threatened to discharge a bomb, according to police reports.

Police in tactical gear surrounded Payan's sport utility vehicle with weapons drawn.

"He was upset, and he had made some threat to kill people and blow the place up," said Cpl. Joe Hackfeld, a Haltom City police spokesman.

Officers negotiated with him while evacuating part of the complex.

Police patrol units and SWAT vehicles were seen rushing to the complex. Assisting agencies included Fort Worth, Haltom City, Watauga, the Northeast bomb squad and North Richland Hills.

Payan surrendered without incident Monday night and no explosive devices or weapons were found.

Ashley Green, who recently moved to the Fossil Creek neighborhood of far north Fort Worth, said police stopped traffic on North Beach Street and kept her from getting home.

Capt. Kevin Rodricks, a Fort Worth police spokesman, said Fort Worth officers assisted with traffic control.

"They did shut down the complex and didn't let people in or out," Hackfeld said.

By about 9 p.m. Monday, he said, the crime scene tape was removed and traffic was flowing.

Star-Telegram reporter Bill Miller and correspondent Jimmy Alford contributed to this report.

Domingo Ramirez Jr., 817-390-7763

Twitter: @mingoramirezjr

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?