LOS ANGELES -- When the Rev. John Anthony Salazar arrived in Tulia in 1991, he was warmly welcomed by the Roman Catholic community tucked in the Texas Panhandle. What his new parishioners didn't know was that he'd been hired out of a treatment program for pedophile priests -- and that he'd been convicted of child molestation and banned from the Archdiocese of Los Angeles for life.Over the next 11 years, Salazar would be accused of abusing four more children and young men in Texas. Today he awaits trial on one molestation charge, while his accusers and former followers seek a way to move forward.Many details of Salazar's past are contained in a confidential personnel file that was among 120 such files the L.A. Archdiocese made public this year after a legal battle with abuse victims. But those records tell only part of the story.On Tuesday, attorneys return to court to argue over the release of records for about 80 priests, including Salazar, who belonged to religious orders that kept their own personnel files on accused clergymen.The hearing will address in what form and when those files will be made public and involves orders such as the Jesuits, Salesians, Vincentians and Dominicans.The documents are crucial to understanding the full scope of the clergy abuse scandal, said Ray Boucher, who repre-sents Los Angeles-area victims.As part of a separate settlement, the Franciscans were forced last year to release confidential records on their members who'd been accused of molestation.The papers revealed a culture of abuse that affected generations of students at the seminary dedicated to training future Franciscans.Among the documents was a "sexual autobiography" written by one priest as part of a therapy assignment that spelled out how he groomed children for molestation from a boys' choir that he founded."These orders really have a primary role and responsibility in the transfer of pedophile priests," Boucher said.About 25 percent of priests accused of abuse in Los Angeles belonged to religious orders.Many had been loaned out to the archdiocese to help with a perpetual shortage of priests.In some cases, Boucher said, the orders may have sent known pedophiles to work in the archdiocese in the same way that the larger church has been accused of shuffling around problem priests.J. Michael Hennigan, an archdiocese attorney representing more than a dozen orders involved in Tuesday's hearing, said the orders operate as separate entities from the archdiocese in financial and disciplinary matters."I don't think even practicing Catholics have a very clear understanding of where the lines of authority are drawn," he said.Salazar belonged to the Piarist Fathers, a tiny order that focuses on educating poor children and administers several parishes in East Los Angeles.The order, Boucher said, still has records on Salazar that could fill in holes in his archdiocese file, which begins in 1986 when Salazar first was charged with abuse.The priest was assigned to work in the archdiocese two years earlier.Salazar was accused of molesting children from East L.A. parishes, sometimes during camping trips and at a Piarist residential house, according to notes in his archdiocese file.After Salazar was arrested, the Piarists solicited character letters from his fellow priests and contacted an attorney who had helped another accused priest strike a deal to serve part of his sentence in a residential facility.Salazar served as pastor of the Church of the Holy Spirit in Tulia, a cattle and cotton farming community of about 5,000 people in Swisher County, and also oversaw Catholic missions in the nearby towns of Kress and Silverton.A religious figure serves an important role in such places, said Kirk Williams, criminal investigator for the county attorney."In these small towns, you don't have the money for psychiatrists, marriage counselors and things that a priest and a preacher could take care of," he said.Four parishioners have accused Salazar of molesting them in Texas.A lawsuit filed by three victims dates the earliest abuse to 1991, not long after Salazar's arrival.The claims, which were settled confidentially in 2006 and 2007, allege that Salazar molested two boys in the Tulia church rectory.Salazar, 57, declined to talk about his past when an Associated Press reporter went to his apartment in Dallas, where he is a registered sex offender.His attorney, Rod Hobson of Lubbock, said the case against Salazar is weak because there are no witnesses and no medical evidence of abuse."He definitely maintains his innocence, and we're not giving up on this case," Hobson said. "It's just an accusation."