It's the hardest job there is to do, but someone's got to do it!
Whether it's little dinner dilemmas, things to do, learning lessons, big female freakouts or just raving rants, get a little help MamaChallenge.com. Connect with her on Facebook at facebook.com/mamachallenge or @challengememama on Twitter
Mommy Minute Saver: Make a Whole Meal in the Microwave (& me on TV)
By Autumn Reo on 03/13/13 01:13
Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Every Monday I bring you things on mamachallenge.com that really matter to mom (at least to me!) This morning "Me Monday" took on a whole new meaning because this Monday I (me) was on WFAA's Good Morning Texas making a whole meal in the microwave - and in only 4:30 minutes! Not only was it easy and healthy, but it also was quick so you can spend more time with your family and spend less time cooking in your kitchen!
Check out my debut:
Are you ready to take on this challenge yourself at home? Then here are the recipes!
1 slice of Swiss cheese (about 1 ounce) or use Provolone
1 slice of deli ham (about 1/2 ounce each)
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Steam bags (Ziplock, Glad, etc.)
2 tablespoons regular or light mayonnaise
2 tablespoons spicy brow n mustard
1 teaspoon honey
Pinch of salt (about 1/16 teaspoon)
1. Cut 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6 - 8 ounces each) in half horizontally almost all the way through leaving far edge intact and open up like a book. Cover with plastic wrap and pound opened breasts gently to even thickness (about 1/4 inch), being careful not to tear chicken. Sprinkle open (cut-side) of chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Cut 1 slice of Swiss cheese (about 1 ounce) in half. Wrap each half of cheese in 1 slice of deli ham (about 1/2 ounce each), folding ham over cheese on all sides to fully surround cheese. Place one ham and cheese bundle on each chicken breast.
4. Put stuffed chicken breasts into steam bag with thickest part of chicken breasts toward outer edge of bag.
5. Seal bag and place in microwave. Cook on full power for 5 - 5 1/2 minutes, until chicken is cooked through, with no trace of pink. If needed, continue microwaving at 30-second intervals until chicken is done.
6. Allow bag to stand 1 minute before handling. Carefully open bag. Use spatula to remove chicken from bag. Serve with mustard sauce.
1 pound baby-cut carrots
1 Tablespoon brow n sugar
1 Tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1. Combine baby-cut carrots, brown sugar, butter, cornstarch and salt in a steam bag.
2. Seal bag and shake gently to combine ingredients. Pat carrots into a single layer. Place bag in microwave.
3. Cook on full power for 6 minutes for crisp-tender carrots. If needed, continue microwaving at 30-second intervals until carrots have reached desired level of tenderness.
4. Allow bag to stand for 1 minute before handling. Shake gently to coat carrots with glaze. Carefully open bag.
5. Garnish with 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, if desired, and serve.
Herbed New Potatoes
1 1/2 pounds small red boiling potatoes, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning blend
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1. Combine all ingredients in steam bag.
2. Seal bag and shake gently to distribute seasonings. Place bag in microwave.
3. Cook on full power for 7 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. If needed, continue microwaving at 30-second intervals until all potatoes are done.
4. Allow bag to stand 1 minute before handling. Carefully open bag and pour out potatoes.
We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse, images, internet links or any device to draw undue attention. Comments deemed inappropriate will be removed and repeated abusers will be banned. NOTE: If you log in using your Twitter account, your comments will be signed using the name on your Twitter profile, NOT your Twitter user name. Read our full comment policy.