Parker County man dies in mobile home fire

Posted Sunday, Mar. 10, 2013  comments  Print Reprints
A

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

A Parker County man who died in a mobile home fire as he tried to escape Friday morning has been identified as John Montgomery, according to the Tarrant County medical examiner's website on Sunday.

The 50-year-old man died from smoke inhalation, according to the medical examiner's office. His death was ruled an accident.

The blaze started in the living and investigators could not determine exactly what ignited the fire, Parker County Fire Marshal Shawn Scott on Sunday.

The residence, which was destroyed in the fire, had no electricity. Montgomery had been using candles, a Coleman outdoor stove and car batteries which were all in the living room, Scott said.

The blaze was reported about 6:15 a.m. Friday in the 3600 block of Oak Circle in unincorporated Parker County. The location is northwest of Weatherford.

"Two-thirds of the trailer was in flames," Scott said Sunday, referring to when firefighters arrived.

Firefighters found Montgomery at the back of the trailer.

"There appeared to be just one exit and it looked like he was trying to get there," Scott said. "But the fire was between him and the exit."

Montgomery was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said. No one else lived in the mobile home.

Domingo Ramirez Jr., 817-390-7763

Twitter: @mingoramirezjr

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse, images, internet links or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?