Police release 911 call that led them to escapee

Posted Monday, Feb. 18, 2013  comments  Print Reprints

Audio: Grapevine 911 burglary call

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

Police on Monday continued to investigate how a convicted felon from Florida evaded capture last week until he was fatally shot and killed by officers early Saturday in Grapevine.

Alberto Morales, 42, was shot at about 12:25 a.m. Saturday in a wooded area controlled by the Army Corps of Engineers, toward the south end of Grapevine Lake. He was found there two hours after officers responded to a report that jewelry and men's clothing had been stolen during a break-in at a nearby home.

Grapevine police released on Monday the 911 call that intensified the manhunt for Morales. It was made by Teresa Parker to authorities Friday night from her home in the 2100 block of Forest Hills Road. Teresa and her husband, Brian, had arrived there about 10:30 p.m. Friday after leaving at 4 p.m.

A calm Teresa Parker told a dispatcher that someone had broken into the house.

"I don't know if they are still in the house," Teresa Parker told the dispatcher. "The bedroom door is locked and we can see where a window was broken out."

When the 911 call was made, the Parkers were inside of their home, but the dispatcher told them to leave.

"We haven't been able to look around the house," she said. She then talked to her husband, who was standing near her. "They [dispatcher] want us to go in our vehicle. Lock the doors."

After police checked the home, the Parkers discovered that a burglar had taken several articles of Brian Parker's clothing, including a pair of shoes and sweatpants. Jewelry also was missing, police said.

After finding Morales in the woods, officers ordered him to lie on the ground and show his hands, police said.

Morales, however, rushed at them with sticks in his hands, according to reports. Officers opened fire, killing him. Aside from the sticks, the fugitive was unarmed, but he was not wearing handcuffs.

Police said Monday that they were not ready to confirm that the clothes found with Morales were the same items taken from the Parker home.

However, officer Sam Shemwell, police spokesman, did confirm that some jewelry found in the woods was returned to the Parkers.

Shemwell said officers were trying to fill in the blanks between Morales' escape and when he was shot, but he had no additional details to release Monday.

The five-day manhunt began late Feb. 11 outside a Grapevine Wal-Mart after Morales reportedly used a sharp piece from his eyeglasses to stab Miami-Dade Detective Jaime Pardinas.

While the other officer was in the store, Morales attacked Pardinas, inflicting deep stab wounds to the neck, shoulder and back.

The detective, who also had a collapsed lung, was released Saturday from Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas.

Staff writer Domingo Ramirez Jr. contributed to this report.

Bill Miller, 817-390-7684

Twitter: @Bill_MillerST

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?