Man killed in Haltom City shootout was a convicted bank robber

Posted Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2013  comments  Print Reprints

Watch video

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

FORT WORTH -- A 32-year-old man who was fatally wounded during a shootout Tuesday in Haltom City that left a Fort Worth officer seriously injured was a convicted bank robber who was wanted on three drug-related warrants, records show.

Haltom City police had been trying to stop Cody Ira Loron of Fort Worth in his vehicle as part of a narcotics investigation when he led officers on a chase. He later ditched his vehicle and fled on foot, running to an auto body shop on Carson Street.

Fort Worth motorcycle officer John Bell and another officer had been visiting with the owner of 2nd Opinion Auto Center on an unrelated matter when they learned about the search. An employee then told the officers that the suspect was behind the business.

Cpl. Joe Hackfeld, spokesman with Haltom City police, said Loron had been hiding inside one of the vehicles on the business’s lot.

The officers had gone to check when officials say Loron opened fire, prompting at least one of the officers to return fire, officials say.

Bell, who celebrates 21 years with the department in March, was struck multiple times in the shooting and was to undergo surgery Wednesday at Texas Health Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital. He remains in serious condition, officials said.

“Officer Bell is in good spirits with his family at his side,” the police department said Wednesday afternoon on its Twitter page.

Loron was pronounced dead at 5:44 p.m. at John Peter Smith Hospital of multiple gunshot wounds to the torso and extremities, according to the Tarrant County medical examiner’s office.

Officials say multiple identification cards were found in Loron’s car.

Federal court records show Loron pleaded guilty in July 2002 to one count of bank robbery and was later sentenced to 78 months in federal prison and three years supervised release.

Loron was given another year in federal prison and 18 months supervised release after his parole was revoked in February 2009 for violations that included failing to participate in random drug testing, using and possession of methamphetamines and cocaine, and associating with a known felon.

In September 2010, his parole was revoked again after the court found he had used and possessed methamphetamine and failed to appear for scheduled urine testing. As a result, he was sentenced to another six months in federal prison, records show.

In Tarrant County, Loron received three years deferred adjudication probation in November 2011 after pleading guilty to attempting to possess a controlled substance (methamphetamine), a state jail felony.

A warrant was issued for his arrest last month, however, after he reportedly failed a drug test and failed to appear in court, according to Tarrant County court records.

Warrants were also issued at that time in connection with two other pending charges against Loron, one for possession of a controlled substance and the other for delivery/manufacturing of a controlled substance, both involving methamphetamines.

The Texas Rangers are investigating Tuesday’s shooting. The Fort Worth police’s major case unit is conducting a critical police incident review, as is routine in police-involved shootings.

Police Chief Jeff Halstead returned from out of state late Wednesday morning and visited the injured officer.

Bell is currently assigned to the traffic division as a motorcycle officer.

Donations for Bell can be made through the Fort Worth Police Awards Foundation at

Deanna Boyd, (817) 390-7655

Twitter: @deannaboyd

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?