Man who found dead teens told dispatchers he tried CPR, but 'I'm getting nothing'

Posted Monday, Jan. 07, 2013  Print Reprints
A

Audio: Cullen Marino talks to 911 operator

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

SOUTHLAKE -- The father who discovered two unconscious Southlake Carroll High School students Saturday morning told a dispatcher that "I might have two dead kids upstairs in my house," according to the 911 call released Monday by Grapevine police.

The caller, Bob Marino, said he attempted cardiopulmonary resuscitation on one of the boys, but he told the dispatcher that was no use.

"I'm getting nothing," Marino told the dispatcher.

When the dispatcher asked him if the boys had taken drugs, Marino asked his son, Cullen Marino, about it and then told the dispatchers, "He says if they did it, it had to be before they came here."

Cullen Marino, 22, remained in custody Monday, facing two charges of criminally negligent homicide. He is accused of failing to call 911 after finding Chase Nunez, 18, and Kyle McNutt, 17, unresponsive after a night of drinking alcohol and taking drugs.

Bob Marino called 911 shortly before 9 a.m. Saturday when he found Nunez and McNutt -- both seniors at Carroll -- unresponsive in a bedroom at his home in the 700 block of Heather Wood Drive in Grapevine.

Bob Marino was in the house during the night, but he was unaware of what had happened in an upstairs bedroom where his son had been staying, authorities said.

The boys were alive after 10:30 p.m. Friday because Bob Marino told the dispatcher that he heard them.

"I heard them pounding upstairs," Bob Marino told the dispatcher. "And I asked them to keep it quiet."

Just before that, Cullen Marino's voice cracked as he identified the teens to the dispatcher as his father was administering CPR.

The teens were dead when paramedics arrived Saturday morning.

"He (Cullen Marino) had been staying in an upstairs bedroom and that's where it all happened," said Grapevine police Sgt. Robert Eberling on Monday. "His father stayed downstairs that night."

Grapevine police say they believe that Cullen Marino purchased the drugs and met Nunez and McNutt at his Grapevine home Friday evening. Grapevine police and officers with the Tarrant County Narcotics Unit said they are investigating where -- and from whom -- the drugs were bought.

"We sent three officers Saturday to help Grapevine police with gathering evidence," said Herschel Tebay, commander of the Tarrant County Narcotics Unit, on Monday. "We conducted some interviews and we're following up some leads, but no one has been arrested in connection with the drugs."

Authorities said that the three young men drank alcohol and ingested marijuana, possibly heroin and another illegal drug. Investigators are awaiting toxicology results on the teens to find out what caused their deaths. The results could take six weeks.

Investigators said they found drug paraphernalia at the house, including glass pipes.

Cullen Marino faces the criminally negligent homicide charges because at some point late Friday or early Saturday, he found the two teens unresponsive in his bedroom, Grapevine police said. Instead of calling 911, Cullen Marino dragged his two friends to a separate bedroom and left them there, Grapevine police said. Cullen Marino then went back to sleep.

"If medical attention would have been summoned, both may have survived," Eberling said.

Cullen Marino, a 2008 graduate of Colleyville Heritage High School, has a criminal history in Tarrant County. Since 2008, just months after he graduated from high school, Marino has had three cases of marijuana possession filed against him in Bedford and Grapevine, and one case of driving while intoxicated in Grapevine, according to Tarrant County criminal court records.

At the time of his arrest, Marino was on two years probation on the DWI charge out of Grapevine, records showed.

Carroll schools were closed on Monday, but officials said grief counselors will be on hand Tuesday when classes resume after the holiday break.

Read Ballew, president of the Carroll school board, said the two deaths add to what has already been a difficult year in the district, where students and staff have been dealing with the loss of other students to cancer and a plane crash.

Now, they are struggling with deaths that highlight a "societal issue," Ballew said.

"It's been a year of tragedies for us," Ballew said, adding that the community will reach out through organizations such as S.P.A.R.K, Students and Parents Against Risks to our Kids.

That group's next meeting is set for Feb. 4.

"That's been our outreach," Ballew said.

"It makes everybody very sad," Ballew said. "It's all about the kids. Our focus needs to be on helping the kids deal with the situation."

Staff writer Diane Smith contributed to this report.

Domingo Ramirez Jr., 817-390-7763

Twitter: @mingoramirezjr

700 block of Heather Wood Drive, Grapevine, TX
Loading map ...