Fort Worth man badly burned trying to get bigger fire in fireplace

Posted Saturday, Jan. 05, 2013  Print Reprints
A

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

FORT WORTH — A man trying to accelerate flames in his fireplace was badly burned Friday evening, officials said.

Firefighters responded about 5 p.m. to a report of a man on fire in the 4600 block of Prewett Road.

The man, who appeared to be in his 40s, was flown to the burn unit at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, said Battalion Chief Richard Harrison, a spokesman for the Fort Worth Fire Department.

He was burned on his right hand and on both legs.

The man’s name was not immediately available Friday, so his condition could not be checked at the hospital.

The neighborhood is northeast of the intersection of North Beach Street and Basswood Boulevard.

“According to family members, he was trying to use [fuel from a gas can] to get a fireplace fire going better,” Harrison said. “The family heard a boom.”

Firefighters arrived to find neighbors dousing the man with a garden hose in the yard, Harrison said.

It’s very dangerous to put fuel on a fire, even if the flames are small, he said.

“We don’t want to encourage anything like that,” Harrison said.

4600 block of Prewett Road, Fort Worth, TX
Loading map ...