Nov. 15: Top Cliburn executive steps down

Posted Friday, Nov. 16, 2012  comments  Print Reprints

Topics: Van Cliburn

A
Timeline: Turmoil at the Cliburn

July 2009: Longtime boss Richard Rodzinski retires about a month after the 2009 competition. Alann Sampson becomes interim CEO.

December 2010: David Worters, an executive with the North Carolina Symphony, is named the new CEO.

June 2011: Worters resigns after only six months. Sampson again steps in.

August 2012: A spokeswoman for Van Cliburn says the iconic pianist has advanced bone cancer.

November 2012: Sampson steps down about six months before the 2013 competition begins.

Timeline

July 2009: Longtime boss Richard Rodzinski retires about a month after the 2009 competition. Alann Sampson becomes interim CEO.

December 2010: David Worters, an executive with the North Carolina Symphony, is named CEO.

June 2011: Worters resigns after only six months. Sampson again steps in.

August 2012: A spokeswoman for Van Cliburn says the iconic pianist has advanced bone cancer.

November 2012: Sampson steps down about six months before the 2013 competition.

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

FORT WORTH -- Alann Sampson, interim president and CEO of the Van Cliburn Foundation, abruptly resigned this week, the latest in a string of departures from the parent of the prestigious Cliburn International Piano Competition.

Cliburn board Chairwoman Carla Thompson said she could not discuss the circumstances surrounding the resignation of Sampson, who joined the Cliburn as a volunteer before the first competition, in 1962.

Although the foundation is conducting a search for a permanent chief executive, Sampson had been expected to continue in her role through the next piano competition, which begins May 24 at Bass Hall in downtown Fort Worth.

"I can tell you we're very sorry she has resigned and we wished that she hadn't," Thompson said. "She is an unbelievable person. She had been a tireless ambassador for the Cliburn. She's given her life to it. She is a huge part of our history and always will be. She's been around from the beginning, and we wish her the very best."

Sampson could not be reached for comment.

She will be succeeded in the interim role by Jacques Marquis, who joined the Cliburn staff last summer. Marquis founded and was the longtime CEO of the Montreal International Music Competition.

"He's a great asset to us with Alann stepping down," Thompson said. "He has 18 years' experience, both administratively and on the music side. He's taken it and he's running with it."

The departure comes at an extremely difficult time for the Cliburn, whose iconic namesake is gravely ill with advanced bone cancer. Sampson was on hand in early September when Cliburn made a surprise appearance at a Bass Hall concert celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Van Cliburn competition. Most believed that it was his farewell appearance.

This was Sampson's second stint as interim leader. She served in the post after the 2009 departure of Richard Rodzinski, who had led the foundation for 23 years.

David Worters, an executive with the North Carolina Symphony, was chosen to replace Rodzinski, but he left after only six months, saying he lacked the passion for the job.

Sampson stepped back in after Worters left in summer 2011.

"I've been asked to stay on through the [2013] competition," Sampson said after she was named to the interim post. "The search will probably begin sometime in 2012. It would be wonderful if a new person would be hired before the competition and we would do it together."

There was widespread speculation at the time that Worters' departure was prompted, at least in part, by Sampson's overinvolvement.

Veda Kaplinsky, head of the piano department at the Juilliard School in New York and a Cliburn juror in several competitions, spoke with the Star-Telegram in 2011.

"That could not be further from the truth," Kaplinsky told the newspaper. She said that from Day One, Worters insisted on Sampson removing herself, and "there was no contact. It wasn't her. She didn't do anything to make him fail, or aggravate things."

Sampson's departure is sure to raise eyebrows in the international piano community, especially given that the Cliburn competition, held every four years, is only six months away.

But Thompson and others close to the competition said Sampson's resignation will not affect the 14th Cliburn.

The application process is complete, and screening auditions will begin around the world early next year.

"It's going to be good. It's going to work out," Kaplinsky said. "That's all I can tell you."

Thompson said Sampson's resignation is not cause for broader concern.

"We're sorry she left, and we're grateful for everything she's done," Thompson said.

"But we've got management that is covering all this. There is not a gap. There is no vacancy.

"We're fine. The number of [contestant] applications are soaring. There is no indication that the competition will be anything but what it's always been. It's going to be better than it's ever been."

Thompson said she hopes that a permanent replacement for Sampson will be identified by early next year.

Tim Madigan, 817-390-7544

Twitter: @tsmadigan

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse, images, internet links or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?