Shoplifting suspect fatally shot at Keller Kohl's had a lengthy criminal history

Posted Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2012  comments  Print Reprints



Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

KELLER -- The shoplifting suspect who was shot and killed by a Keller police last week at a Kohl's department store has been identified as Mark Anthony Brooks, 42, of Fort Worth..

Brooks was fatally shot by Keller officer Johnathan Hicks during a struggle that ensued after Brooks lunged at the officer. Brooks had been caught shoplifting by in-house security officers, who called police.

Lt. Brenda Slovak on Tuesday said detectives are still investigating the incident.

Brooks lived in a house in the 4900 block of Happy Trail, south of Shiver Road and west of North Tarrant Parkway, less than two miles from the Kohl's on U.S. 377.

Neighbor Marlo Marroquin said she thought it was out of character for Brooks to do any of the things he is accused of doing.

"He was so good hearted, always willing to help. He was a people person. He would often volunteer to mow an elderly lady's lawn in our neighborhood," Marroquin said.

Marroquin said Brooks lived with his mother but didn't know any about his personal life.

"I still can't believe it was him," Marroquin said. "It is what it is, but to get shot four times? But I don't know the whole situation."

Records show that Brooks had a lengthy criminal record dating back to 1988, with numerous convictions in Florida on a variety of charges, from possession of cocaine to retail theft to burglary of a dwelling.

He also had three felony convictions for driving under the influence in Florida.

He was convicted of misdemeanor theft in Fort Worth in 2010, records show.

Keller Police Chief Mark Hafner said Hicks was dispatched to the store on U.S. 377 about 4 p.m. When he tried to make an arrest, Brooks lunged at the officer and a struggle ensued.

Brooks tried to grab the officer's gun multiple times and was yelling threats, saying he was going to kill the officer, Hafner said.

Police said Brooks was shot four times at close range. He was taken by helicopter ambulance to John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth, where he died.

Hicks, a 10-year veteran of the Keller Police Department, was treated at a hospital and released.

The incident is the first time that a Keller police officer has fatally shot someone in the 57 years the city has been incorporated, officials said. The last time that a Keller officer shot a suspect was in the late 1980s, but that person survived.

Susan McFarland, 817-431-2231

Twitter: @susanmcfarland1

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?