Rain chance for Dallas-Fort Worth increases slightly

Posted Monday, Oct. 22, 2012  comments  Print Reprints
A

Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

FORT WORTH _ Mother Nature may want North Texas to get some rain after all.

Showers and thunderstorms popped up west of Fort Worth Monday morning and they were headed east, some with hail and gusty winds.

Forecasters had given the Dallas-Fort Worth area a 20 percent chance of rain on Monday, but that was increased to 30 percent for Monday afternoon. In counties west of Fort Worth, the rain chances were 40 to 50 percent.

A severe thunderstorm warning was issued Monday morning for Jack and Young counties, where storms were dropping quarter-inch hail.

"The storms are coming farther south than we had predicted," said meteorologist Melissa Huffman with the National Weather Service office in Fort Worth. "We shouldn't see any severe weather in Fort Worth, but there could be some showers."

Temperatures, however, were expected to remain warm Monday.

The high reached 89 on Sunday, five degrees short of the record for the day. That was 94 in 1979 and again in 1939, according to the National Weather Service.

Strong south winds, some gusting more than 20 mph, also blew during the day.

Forecasters say the high should be around 86 today.

Warm temperatures and south winds will continue the rest of the week, forecasters say, but a cold front arrives on Friday, bringing chilly weather, chances of rain and north winds.

"Right now, it looks like the cold front will arrive early Friday afternoon," said NWS meteorologist Joe Harris. "If that happens, Friday night football fans could see temperatures at about 60 degrees with north winds at 15 to 25 mph. There also could be rain that night."

Forecasters are calling for a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms Friday night.

On Saturday, the high may get up to 58 with a low Sunday morning at 40. The high for Sunday could be 61.

"Changes happen real fast this time of year," Harris said. "It's still early in the week but we're going to see a change of weather by the end of the week."

Domingo Ramirez Jr., 817-390-7763

Twitter: @mingoramirezjr

Looking for comments?

We welcome your comments on this story, but please be civil. Do not use profanity, hate speech, threats, personal abuse, images, internet links or any device to draw undue attention. Our policy requires those wishing to post here to use their real identity.

Our commenting policy | Facebook commenting FAQ | Why Facebook?